Unsuccessful experiment

lynnm

I have a recently acquired pair of KLF 30's. I cannot use the spikes as my listening room floors are 100 year old varnished Fir and I really want to stay married,(my wife as always is considering her options)! I thought that creating a pair of bases that the KLF's would stand on with their spiky little feet would improve their already fabulous sound.WRONG!!

After about 3 hours of mucking about,(including finishing), I tried my KLF's. Obviously the 3/4" plywood platforms I so lovingly created damned near totally decoupled the KLF's from the house's structure and made them sound almost as good as the pair of bullhorns that a friend of mine tried to use for stereo speakers many moons ago. Suffice it to say that they are back on their silly little vinyl feet and will be staying there !!

OK!OK! - I lied - anyone got a use for some really loud bullhorns ?

------------------

It is meet to recall that the Great Green Heron rarely flies upside down in the moonlight - (Foo Ling ca. 1304 BCE)

• 2 weeks later...

Thankee Folks!!

I went to Home Depot and bought a 12x12 tile of granite about 5/16" thick and had it cut into 4"x4" pieces. I then drilled a small depression into each one and used "Fun Tac",(Same idea as BlueTac),to glue the squares to the floor.

At first I was a little disappointed because it seemed that I had lost some bass but the more I listen - the more I like the change.

I also made some isolators to place under my CD player,(sacrificed an old rubber mouse pad) and realised a further major improvement.

The strange thing is that everything except The Bee-Gees disco stuff sounds great - even their non disco stuff. Do you think I need a new amp?

------------------

It is meet to recall that the Great Green Heron rarely flies upside down in the moonlight - (Foo Ling ca. 1304 BCE)

"The strange thing is that everything except The Bee-Gees disco stuff sounds great - even their non disco stuff. Do you think I need a new amp?" You need a white coat like John Travolta.Well maybe a white coat with the sleeves that wrap around and fasten in back.

lynnm,

When I bought my KLF-20's new they came with eight small brass cup-like buttons to use under the spikes on hardwood floors. Maybe the parts department can sell ya some.

Good luck,

------------------

Tom

KLF-20 Mahogany

McIntosh C33

McIntosh MVP-841

Rotel RB-1080

Yamaha PF-800 Turntable/ Sure V15 Type V Cartridge

Ortofon VMS-30 mkII Cartridge

Stanton 999SS Cartridge

Yamaha K-1020 Cassette

dbx 1231 EQ