Amateur Sub question...

TekWorm

I feel justified in askin' here, tho the particular product in question is not Klipsch, based on the rest of the system bein' Newly purchased Klipsch.9.gif

Also, I respect the "Member Knowlege-Base" here.

My ordered Paradigm PS-1000 v4 has arrived, and I'll be starting the process of positioning & tunnin'-in, this comming weekend.

I auditioned "a few" subs in a listening room, that has "approximately" the dimensions of my own HT area.

Smallish... 12x14 with some irregularities and a pretty high ceiling (Store's room had lower ceiling).

I am oriented lengthwise, with my viewing/listening perch about 3/4 of the way back from my front components.

The (store's) listening room was oriented the short & wide way

The sub was directly behind the viewing sofa, and I was only able to move it slightly in any direction.

It was pretty impressive, compared to the affordable & available competition... which explains why the selection.

I refuse to lay out for something I haven't heard.

In this environment, it sounded better (to me) than anything at hand, near this priceline.

Only Subs that I liked better were a high end Klipsch & (If I recall correctly) a Hsu.

Both made my bank account quiver in fear..LOL!

So, this is only my second foray into Sub setup, and I'd like any thoughts and advice on where you would start, locationwise(?).

I'll mention, that the only spot that is totally out of the question, is the favored "Front near the L/C/R Speakers.

This is the Sub that's fully enclosed in the quasi-bandpass box.

Thanks in advance, for any input. 1.gif

You can allways do the "sub crawl" for placement. Put the sub in the preferred seating location and play some bass heavy material. Crawl around the room till you find the location with the best bass. That's where your sub should go. You can use an SPL meter to assist you.

he..he.. clever... that works, huh(?)..

So I would place the sub in the spot occupied by my chair, then make like my Grandaughter 9.gif

Seems logical.

THANKS!!

BTW: at what extreme does (sub) cable length make a difference?

I wouldn't think it would (within reason), and had them make me up a 24'er with good connectors.. since I had no clue where I'd end up puttin' it. 9.gif

24 footer isn't bad. The signal cable is most likely shielded, however I would still try not to run it's entire length next to a power cable if at all possible (for noise reasons). Some will argue this point, however I'd rather be safe than sorry. 5.gif

• 3 weeks later...

I have a PS 1000 v3. I like it but often wonder if there is not better and at what price am I willing to go. So I think about it and then forget it. I want to find a friend that has something different so I can compare.