Update on things & things for sale

jhawk92

Well, it's been quite an eventful 2005. As many of you know, I got back from Xmas vacation and found our basement was flooded thanks to a broken pipe. Fortunately, the insurance company was easy to work with and we didn't lose much in terms of personal property. While I wasn't totally pleased with the way the reconstruction company handled things, the basement is back up and running, though I still need to do the final audio/video tweaks to get it back where it was. But we've got the HT back up and operational, so that's nice.

Work has kept me off the forum since early Jan, as I've been working 60-70hr weeks on a proposal for NASA, so, in a way, it wasn't too bad that the HT was down during this time, as I wouldn't have been able to enjoy it anyways. I did get to enjoy a bit of listening time on the K-horns/299B, so that was nice.

Much as I have enjoyed the 299B, and the work that Craig put into it, I've been thinking about separates. In a bit of my spare time, I was researching what would be good to replace it. I looked at many different manufacturers, and settled on Quicksilver Audio, thanks, in part, to a nice conversation with owner Mike Sanders. He recommended the Horn Monos, as he has used them with Klipschorns in the past. So, what do I see pop up on A-gon last week, but a very nice set of Horn Monos. The seller and I settled on a price, and they'll be on their way here in a few weeks. I'm excited about trying them out and seeing what separates can do for 2-ch.

So, now I need to raise a bit of cash to help pay for these chrome beauties. Funny that there has been a great deal of talk about the H/K 430/730 lately, as I have one I'd like to sell. I bought this one for my dad off eBay for his basement system. It's in very good shape, and I did the HDBR Builder-recommended clean-up. All the pots were cleaned up with contact cleaner so they work like new, no stickiness here. I also cleaned all the knobs, so they shine bright and replaced the two non-factory ones the seller had put on. Under the hood, I checked all the fuses and replaced any that needed it as well as gave the unit a good cleaning to clear out the dust. Plugged the unit in and was rewarded with the great sound these units are known for.

I'm selling this one because I recently found another H/K 730 with the factory walnut sides that better matches my dad's decor, so this one should find a new home. Why am I not keeping it? Well, I already have one mated up with a pair of Heresys for my daughter's bedroom system, and I'm out of speakers! I'd like to get $125 plus shipping. I wanted to offer it here first, before going back to eBay. I have plenty of pics if anyone wants to see them. There are no scratches in the glass, and only a few minor marks around the volume knob.

I'm also thinking about selling my Scott 333 AM/FM stereo tuner. I bought it about a year ago, it's in excellent condition, all knobs are intact, and the tuning wheels are perfect. Tubes are in great shape, with most being original. Chasis is in very good condition as well. Pulls in a strong FM and AM signal, and the ferrite AM antenna is still there.

I just haven't used it as much as I thought I would, so I'm thinking about letting it go. It did not have a cabinet when I bought it, but right now, it has the factory Scott walnut cabinet that came with my 299B, but I'm not sure if I want to sell with the cabinet. The 299B has one of Alan's custom cabinets, also in walnut, which looks sharp. I'm in the 333 for about $475, so I'd like to get about $400 or so. I don't have any pics yet on this unit, as I'm not completely sure I want to sell it, but if someone is interested in adding a vintage AM/FM unit to their collection, I might be convinced to give it up.

Hope all is well here on the forum, and I'll try to catch up on all the topics I've missed. Shoot me an email if anyone is interested in the gear.

Rob

Dee-

Thanks for the kind thoughts. It's been pretty busy over the past 6 months. I think it's the 333, but I'll check tonight. Yes, it is FM Multiplex and it has the clear dial wheels, both of which are in great shape.

Rob