Appropriate Surrounds to Match RF-Series

bchild311

I don't have the hottest surround speakers. They do alright as far as volume and presence and all that, but they don't really match the front stage. What do some of you guys do for your surrounds that are running RF's in the front?

Another pair of RF-7's to me sounds like a huge overkill for surrounds. Perhaps 3 more RC-7's? (rear center) I've heard the RS-7's are not that great, but most likely better than what I currently have. So those of you who have first-hand experience with this, let me know what kind of solutions you've come up with in your own setups.

Thanks ...

Get RB-75 bookshelves. They have the power and presence of the 7-series, without the heft and the unnecessary (for surrounds) bass response of the big towers. At the same time they don't disperse the sound like RS-7s do.

The more speakers you have in your surround system, the more advantageous the bookshelves become. I think at 7.1, the soundstage created by the bookshelves should be able to match that created by the dipoles, as in there should be no gaps in the surround sound effects.

Wow that is a great solution to go with the RB-75's. It's so obvious that I didn't even consider. Definitely something to look into.

I know this same question has been posed numerous times throughout the years here, but thought I'd ask a more recent version and see what people said.

I'd still be curious to know what other RF owners are doing and if there is any real substance to the rumor of the RS-7's sounding like crap for surrounds. And by crap I mean a general and very vague statement for I don't know what ...

Bchild, I love my RS-7's. They do exactly what they are designed to do. Create a field of sound. They don't stick too far out from the wall and match the other Reference speakers sonic signature. They don't call attention to themselves but when a bullet ricochets to the side of you, you know right where it's coming from. If I listened to alot of multi channel music, I'd have bought thr RB-75's but for HT, the RS-7's are great. Critics call them "sound sprayers" as an insult, but if you look at how they're built, that's what they are. They'll also go low enough that you can crossover at 60Hz if you want to.

For movies...

RS7

For Music....

RB75 or RC7..depending on budget and how ya gonna mount them...

I prefer RS...and listen to music in 2 channel since I do not have a DVD-A or SACD....and I watch movies...95% of the time....in lieu of Music....