I found my sub problem...

Scp53

ive been talking along time about how i thought my sub(the titanic 10in kit and my 15in atlas in a ported box) wasnt working right, well i found out today that the amp came(the one in the kit) with a 6db boost at 30hz.

so that makes good sense as to why the titanic 10in kit and my new atlas(run on the exact same amp) were clipping. thats a lot of boost and can really rob power. so tomorrow im going to a local store and getting two new resitors(to mod the eq on it so its flat). all i need to do is pull two and replace them with different ones. im gonna be really pissed if this doesnt fix my problem(but im 99.999999% sure it will). have any of you had this problem before? any comments, suggestions,etc? Ill post tomorrow on how i feel about it. btw, this sub does sound fine with the boost but it becomes a big problem when i start to crank it up. i think this boost is also the reason why my sub lost the higher freq "smack" my titanic had(when the titanic wasnt clipping). it probably sounds really bottom heavy with no matching mid deep bass,etc? does that make any sense? ok, enough said. ill post back tomorrow.

scp53

Yes, 6db does not sound like much, but 6 db above 1 watt is only 4 watts. However, 6 db above 64 watts is 256 watts. 6 db above 128 watts is 512 watts. So, it can gobble up extra power, and even more so, if you have a fairly inefficient subwoofer.

Hope that removing the boost helps out, you may find that without boost, the amp is not clipping under most circumstances, and you do not have to replace it with a higher powered model.

I had thought it was the amp for a long time too! but some tech guy told me it was a non boosted amp that came with the titanic 10in. im sure it will be a whole different animal with this amp mod. Ill post back in a few hours. btw, how should i re-seal the pc board? i had to undo alot of screws and take off nobs to pull the board and at the same time had to cut the air seal on the board. seems to be a rubberized material. any suggestions? i'll have to stop somewhere and get something, either that or leave the amp out and drop a piece of wood in place for now.

scp53

to late, already got em in. from my short listening to it, the mod made a good sized difference.i think all the clipping is gone. I'll post back tomorrow with higher spl listening to see really how much it helped. btw, can some songs make the sub sound like its clipping? seems like on shania twain(sorry, spelling?) greatest hits cd some of the bass lines clip the sub. ive heard that depending on how the bass guitar is played, it can make an amp sound like its clipping. is this true?

scp53

well i did some more testing and ht is wicked(need to try it on a joiced floor though. concrete sucks for best feel imo). shakes the crap out of everything. i was hitting 110 clean easily from a little under 2m away. music still clips some. I think its partly the amp but also the receiver. I can play it in ht and moved it a LOT farther(like almost full xmax)with NO clipping,suspension,etc sounds but on some music at higher levels it will still do it(not near as bad as before the mod though). im thinking of using this sub strictly for ht(its not quite as tight as the titanic was on music) and using the titanic for music or building a different sub for music. if i used the titanic i would have to get another amp, probably the 240wt from PE that has soft clipping and a steeper slope. any comments? btw, the sounds coming from the sub on music happen at about 105-110 db at about 2 m. so maybe im giving the amp to big of a work out? i dunno.

scp53

thanks for the reply formica2.gif . how would i get a x over and phase to work with that? do i need a seperate pre amp or something? my receiver is not advanced at all so that would not help control the x over on the sub. ideas?

scp53

----------------

On 5/31/2005 2:36:45 PM Scp53 wrote:

thanks for the reply formica
2.gif
. how would i get a x over and phase to work with that? do i need a seperate pre amp or something? my receiver is not advanced at all so that would not help control the x over on the sub. ideas?

scp53

----------------

Outlaw ICBM?

On 5/31/2005 2:36:45 PM Scp53 wrote:

thanks for the reply formica . how would i get a x over and phase to work with that? do i need a seperate pre amp or something? my receiver is not advanced at all so that would not help control the x over on the sub. ideas?

scp53

Paradigm X-30?

----------------

On 5/31/2005 3:27:15 PM meuge wrote:

Outlaw ICBM?

----------------

----------------

On 5/31/2005 3:38:53 PM michael hurd wrote:

Paradigm X-30?

----------------

Yamaha RX-V420 ? 2.gif

It doesn't need to be a sophisticated x-over... and you can flip the phase by flipping the wire polarity. BTW, you don't need to get THAT much power for your sub... something like an EP1500 would have plenty of overkill (remember though, these pro amps have fans).

Rob

i think the outlaw bass control is a little too much money right now. add that and a pro amp and im $600+ in cost.

i can get from PE right now the 500 watt amp for $250. that comes with everything i would need in an amp, most importantly the power.

maybe ill just wait a bit till i can afford the pro amp and bass manager? what do u guys think about getting the 500wt from pe on sale though? would that be the ticket?

scp53

I just hooked up my titanic to the new amp and WOW, what a changed sub with that mod. still clips at higher spl on music but it never does it on ht. the thing does full excursions and is quieter than the atlas 15. and after listening the the atlas more today and comparing it to the titanic now, its clipping again. im strongly considering ordering the 500 watt tomorrow from parts express. then i can have two subs3.gif . that 500 should be really clean on my atlas 15.

scp53

ps-shouldnt the 15 be quieter for a sub? those titanics are known to have noisier suspension, and the atlas is known to be very quiet,etc. i think that amp is clipping and making the noise?

500W should be enough for your sub.. but I've learnt to overshoot to avoid upgradeitis the strike too soon (for example you ad a driver...). BTW, the Berhinger EP1500 also sells for 250$ (free shipping at many places). I use my receiver's 80Hz un-adjustable x-over... and it's fine for most situations.

I'm not sure where your noise originates from... are you pushing your sub that hard?,,, Could it be port noise?

Rob

Behringer is the undisputed watt per dollar champ. Very reliable. They do however have fairly loud fans as they are pro style amps. I do believe they come with a 3 year warranty. Currentry I am running a Behringer EP-2500 to power 4 Avalanche 18" subs.

For the same price you could get a Crown XLS 402 which will probably run cleaner...I know it's very popular for use with mains (just one of those amps that sounds really good) so if you ever went another direction with the subs, you'd have an amp that would work well in other situations. I'm currently using a 402 for subwoofer duty now and it does a mighty fine job. Fan noise is always annoying, but you can always put it in a closet or something (i've got doors to my cabinets...I rigged some cloth that really makes it inaudible when the door is closed).

I've never heard that specific behringer amp, but the few other models that I heard always had a wierd sound to them...I almost wanna say "hollow" sounding. Nothing major, but swapping out with different amps always made a huge difference (I'm talking live PA situations here btw).

Behringer EP amps were supposedly backward engineered from the QSC RMX series amps, with very similar topology and the same op-amps. The performance and reliability has discussed ad nauseam on the srforums.prosoundweb.com and there seems to be a general consensus that performance is very similar. Most of the differences involve customer support from the manufacturer

I'm not sure about which type of fan the Crown amps use... but Berhinger has a std 12V unit which is interchangeable with most PC case units. That means you can substitute a ultra quiet thermally controlled fan for a minimal additional cost.

I currently have a JBL (QSC) amp and have a Behringer EP2500 on order... but haven't had a chance to compare them yet.

Later..

Rob

PS: BTW, Klipsch uses QSC amps for a lot of their laboratory testing...

I think im either going to get the QSC rmx 850 or 1450. leaning towards the 1450 because it would allow me to expand more in the future. Later on i might even use it to drive speakers for my music or a party? i dunno. you guys think thats a good choice? btw, right now i can get free shipping and free extended warrenty on the amp. so instead of the normal 3 year warrenty i get 6 total.

the ONLY thing that bothers me a little is the power rating at 4 ohms bridged(thats the way ill run it on the sub). the power number is fine and good but its says with 1% thd at 1 khz. is the thd much worse up and down from this point? to see this you have to download the pdf RMX specifications on the site. thanks for any coments as to how this will work with both subs and main/full range speakers. peace, scp53