Denon 3802/klipsch ref hookup question

jmklipsch

I am hooking up reference series speakers to denon 3802. I also have VCR and DVD. What is best way to hook coaxial cable signal out of the wall to receiver. I thought of buying coaxial plug to regular video (which looks like RCA) plug adaptor, if there is such a thing. Is there such an adaptor? Am I missing something??

Thank you for any help,

Jeremy

PS You can make fun of me some, but remember I have feelings too......

Jeremy,

Wait! Don't do that! There is no way to hook up the coax cable from the wall to your receiver!

What you need to do is hook the coax cable signal (I am assuming you mean a video signal from an antenna, a cable system, or a satellite system) to a tuner, like a VCR, cable box, DSS receiver or TV. It depends on what you want to use to tune the channels with. Then, you will use the video out (and audio out) of that tuner, to one of the video inputs (and audio inputs) on your receiver.

Give us some more info, and maybe we can help you out. What kind of signal is it? What tuner are you planning on using? Will you be using S-Video or regular composite video?

And don't worry, no one here is going to laugh at you.

------------------

Thanks,

Bryan

"... But Honey - I promise this is the last thing I will have to buy for the Home Theater"

Mistubishi 60" RPTV (VS60603)

Denon AVR 3802 RCVR

Denon DVM 1800 DVD

JVC 3600U SVHS VCR

RCA DirecTV

Klipsch RB5 - L&R

Klipsch RC3 - Center

Klipsch RCW3 - In-wall surrounds

Klipsch KSW12 - Sub (hopefully an RSW12 whenever they come out!)

Monster Power Conditioner

Radio Shack Gold Series Interconnects

Radio Shack 12 AWG Mega Cable

Thankyou for the response.

Let me be a little more specific. I have Toshiba CW34X92 TV, Toshiba SD 5109 DVD, Samsung VCR, Denon AVR 3802, KSW-12, 2 RF-3, RC-3, and 2 RS-3. Before I had Coaxial cable running to VCR and then into TV. TV has Coaxial input. DVD was hooked up to component inputs on TV.

Now I have DVD hooked to Component inputs on receiver and Then component outputs from receiver to TV. I also have video and audio outs from VCR to receiver and then from receiver to TV. I do not have a converter box just the coaxial cable running out of the wall. I guess the best way is to run coaxial into VCR then I think VCR will pass through signal out of Video and audio to receiver then to TV. Initially I wanted to hook TV input coming through Coaxial cable directly to Receiver so I could select between VCR, Cable TV, or DVD, on receiver. This would require some kind of adaptor to split coaxial signal into video and audio out or s-video so it would plug directly into back of receiver from wall. Is there such an adaptor and will it degrade signal? Signal is not too good to begin with.

Does this make any more sense?

Also, What settings should I use for different speakers, small or large? What about sub crossover point?

Thanks again

Jeremy

Jeremy,

I think you will have to do the following:

Video

-----

Coaxial from Wall to VCR In

VCR S-Video Out to S-Video In on Rcvr (VCR-1)

DVD Component Out to Rcvr Component In (DVD)

Rcvr Monitor Out (Component) to TV Component In (DVD)

Rcvr Monitor-1 Out (S-Video) to TV S-Video In

Audio

-----

VCR Audio Out to Analog Audio In on Rcvr (VCR-1)

Rcvr Audio Out (VCR-1) to TV Audio In

DVD Digital Audio Out (Coax or Optical) to Rcvr In (same)

When watching TV or VCR, you will need to Monitor VCR-1 on your Receiver (you will also need to program or tune your channels on the VCR) and set the correct Video on your TV (I use Video 1 for Cable and Video 4 for DVD). When watching DVD you will need to set the Receiver to DVD and then set the TV to the correct Video source (you will also have to assign the Digital Input on your receiver to where you plugged it in to the back (Optical 1-5 or Digital 1-3).

I hope this helps,

Mike

Edit: As for the speakers, set them all to Small and if you have an adjustable crossover on the 3802 (wish I did), set it the lowest setting (50 hz?). If there is no setting within the receiver it's probably set to 80 hz.

------------------

Family Room

-----------

Hitachi 43UWX10B HDTV (16:9)

Denon AVR-4800

Panasonic DVD-RP91K (Progressive Scan & DVD-Audio)

Dual CS-5000 Turntable w/Shure V15V-MR

DBX 3bx Series III Range Expander

Klipsch Epic CF-2's (mains)

Klipsch KLF-C7 (center)

Klipsch RS-3's (surrounds)

SVS 20-39CS Sub w/Samson S700 Amp

Monster HTS-3500 Line Conditioner

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2100 Digital Cable box

Monster M-500 Component Video cables

Monster Datalink 100 Digital Coaxial cables

Radio Shack Gold Series for all other audio interconnects

Bedroom

-------

Mitsubishi 31" TV

Yamaha M-4 Amp

Yamaha C-4 Preamp

Yamaha T-7 Tuner

Teac DVD Player

Dual CS-721 Turntable w/B&O MMC2

Looking for a pair of Heresy's

This message has been edited by Mike Lindsey on 09-05-2001 at 12:49 PM

Mike - nice post!

Do what he said, but also be aware of a few caveats so you can decide which is best for you.

The on screen display from the 3802 is only output on the S-Video or composite outputs, not the component outputs. So you won't get the on screen settings or information when using the the component input on your TV.

Really, there is no reason to run your component video through the 3802 at all, since you don't have multiple sources with component outputs (at least not yet). You might as well just run the component cables straight to the TV. This will keep the signal from being degraded by the receiver (if it is degraded at all). Then what I would do is run an S-Video cable from your DVD player to the receiver as well, so that you can switch to the s-video input on your tv, and adjust any settings while watching the DVD.

One thing though, if your VCR doesn't have S-Video, then maybe you can use just the composite out of the DVD player, so that you only have to run one cable to the tv (instead of s-video and composite) and only have to switch between two inputs on the tv instead of 3 (svid,composite,component).

For the speaker settings - I would recommend all small, and leave the crossover at 80Hz. I have mine set up that way, and I have a very similiar setup to yours. You could play with setting your front speakers to large, and see if you like that sound better (or even all to large). What is cool about the Denon is you can then set the sub to LFE + Main, and it will still send the bass from all the large speakers to the sub in addition to sending the bass to all the speakers set as large. I am sitting here waiting patiently until the new RSW subs are released, so I can replace my KSW 12, and get some serious bass going! I will without a doubt be getting a new sub (either Velodyne SPL1200, or RSW 12) and will set all speakers to small and let the sub do its thing.

For the record, here is how mine is set up.

RCA DirecTV - S-Video out to S-Video in on Receiver

JVC SVHS VCR - S-Video out to S-Video in on Receiver

Denon DVD - S-Video out to S-Video in on Receiver

Denon 3802 - S-Video out to S-Video in on TV

This allows me to see the on screen info from the receiver no matter what I am watching, and I don't have to mess with the TV inputs at all. Sure, the component video from the DVD player might be a little better, but I don't think it is worth the hassle of changing inputs on the TV just to view a movie, and then back again to watch Satellite.

This makes the macros on my remote so much easier (don't have to learn the discrete codes for my tv inputs, which do exist, and I know what they are). The reason it is easier is that my tv won't change inputs until it is on and displaying something, so for the first few seconds after turning it on, it is "warming" up, and not responding to any remote commands. When the TV is already on, then the macros work. But when it is being turned on, the TV will stay in the "wrong" input, and only I will know how to fix it, as opposed to my wife trying to figure out what is going on.

Eventually, when everything goes to component, then I will ditch the VCR (Tivo should replace that before too long) and use only the component inputs and outputs.

Good luck!

Bryan

bac, before getting a vel spl u may wanna call kurt chissom at Velodyne. because klipsch are so loud, he's recommended to me to use only an HGS-18 or 2 or more CT-150 w/ my set-up. of course he's not there in your room, but might wanna run it by him on the spl.

his #: 480-595-7141

if the rsw are reliable & don't have too much distortion, they look like a better match for klipsch speaks to me.

------------------

Klipsch KLF 30 (front), KLF C7, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnect/Monster MCX-2 biwire & Z cable

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Sony DVP-C650D 5-disk cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Technics dual cassette deck

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2100 digital cable box

Monster HTS1000 PowerCenter

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Klipsch RF-3, RC-3

Monster MCX-1 Biwire

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage 1975)

Russound AB-2 receiver switch to RF-3

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd changer

Technics SL-1950 turntable/AT LS500 cartridge

rock on!

This message has been edited by boa12 on 09-05-2001 at 02:17 PM

Bac,

Nice post yourself! Smile.gif I agree with the direct source to TV route but was thinking in the long run, when he gets Cable or Sattelite w/HDTV capability, he can just do the component switching from the Receiver. I didn't know I could run an S-Video cable from the DVD to the Rcvr as well. I hate the fact that I lost my OSD because of the component cable. But, without question, my picture is better because of it.

Mike

Mike - Didn't take the time to read this entire thread, but you said you lost your OSD when you went to component video. In my case, I also ran a composite video from my Denon receiver (monitor out) to a spare composite video input on my TV. When I need to see the OSD, I just change the input source on my TV from DVD (component) to Receiver (composite).

But, you probably already knew this...

DD2

OK this is what I have done and it seems to be working well.

My VCR does not have S video out.

I ran component video from DVD to TV and Digital audio from DVD to Receiver. I ran Coaxial to VCR and then Coaxial out of VCR and into TV. I ran analog RCA audio from TV to Receiver for Audio while watching TV. I also connected S video from Receiver to TV on Seperate input which I can switch over to any time I want to see onscreen stuff from receiver.

This seems to work best for me. At least so far. I might change my mind when I get all the speakers hooked up and use it for a while.

Thanks again for all the help,

I am going to be working alot the next few days but I will get back to you when I get everything running smoothly and all speakers hooked up.

Doug - Thanks for the tip! I'll give it a try next time I get behind the mess (my cable pile behind the TV). :-) BTW, I see you live in Scottsdale. I think I might be heading there sometime late October/early November to see a very sick Uncle (he lives in Paradise Valley). Would love to meet you and check out your system! Smile.gif

Jeremy - Sounds like a good compromise. Let us know how it turns out...

Mike

Mike - By all means let us know when you are out this way. Ross Taylor also lives in the Phoenix area (in Anthem, but it's almost in a different time zone Smile.gif) as well as Bacevedo (Bryan). Can't speak for them, but I'd love to show you what's cooking. Maybe by then I'll have the shelf built to hold my Forte center channel over the TV.

DD2

Mike - Casing the joint, huh? (LOL).

Well, this will be a test for me on some of this, 'cause I'm not much on model numbers with more than 2 different numerals in them...

Active: KG4; KG3; Chorus; KV-3; SS-1; Velo CT-120 sub; 2 pairs B&W Rock Solids (remote speakers); 2 pairs Radio Shack Optimus speakers for outdoors; Acurus 200x3 amp; Denon AVR 3300; NAD 7150? receiver; Pioneer Elite 301 disk changer; Sony ES 5-disk changer; Denon 3000 DVD; Toshiba nnxx VCR; B&O turntable; Sony 43" RPTV; Aura Bass Shakers; homemade Flexyrack; mix of Monster/AR/Home Depot interconnects/speaker wire (adding some AudioQuest soon); Pronto remote

Closet: 2 pairs Forte; Mirage center channel; JBL 10" sub; Mirage 12" sub.

Probably forgetting something...

DD2

That would be cool to be able to check out someone else's setup! Especially another Klipsch setup!

Doug, I live in South Chandler (Ocotillo area - Pecos Ranch to be exact) but I work in Scottsdale. Where about in Scottsdale do you live? I go up to the Showcase on Frank Loyd Wright all of the time to check out their new stuff. I bought all of my stuff from the Showcase in Chandler, but my salesguy (the store manager) transferred to the Scottsdale store, so I go and see him. They have a very nice set up there, and some great demo rooms! Go check it out if you haven't!

Bryan

bacevedo-

I'm thinking about getting a JVC SVHS VCR, I saw that you had one...tell me what you you think about it??

I usually use the VCR to record Cable programs. My thinking is that the SVHS will record better quality video and allow me to record the suround effects.

I don't really want to spend the $$ on TiVo or other digital recorders.

Thanks

DrPyro

------------------

Receiver: Denon AVR-3801

DVD: Denon DVD-1000

Front: RF-3's

Rear: RS-3's

Center: RC-3

SubW: KSW-12

DrPyro,

I like the VCR, but honestly, I hardly ever use it!

It has good picture quality and sound quality, and the recording quality is pretty good. The sound quality is actually very good on both pre-recorded and recorded-off satellite tapes.

In order to take advantage of SVHS, you are supposed to buy SVHS tapes, which are a lot more expensive. The JVC's have some technology called SVHS-ET, which is supposed to give you SVHS quality on high quality regular tapes. I played with that a little bit when I first got it, and I didn't think the quality was that great. I just record in regular VHS and it is fine. The real reason I wanted an SVHS VCR was for simplicity in the system. I can now use all S-Video cables, and I don't have to worry about also switching the TV inputs between different sources. This really isn't for me, but for my wife - when she wants to watch a DVD or play a tape for our son, she just hits whichever macro button on the remote, and everything is setup no matter what mode it was in before, or whether or not it was on or off. If I had to switch inputs on the TV, it would add another level of complexity, because of the way my TV works when first turning on (I have the discrete codes for each input, but it doesn't help when the TV ignores them). It doesn't respond to any remote commands until it is "warmed up" when first turning on. Since that time can change (if the TV was just turned off for instance), it is impossible to make a usable macro for it. A macro that had to delay for 8 seconds before it could finish would basically be useless.

Sorry for the long post, but I hope this helps.

Bryan