(3) RB75's vs' (2) RF5's & RC7

ajglennon

Hi,

I am trying to decide between two options for a new front sound stage. My room is a dedicated front projection home theater that measures 12' x 18'. My receiver is a Denon 3805 (7.1) and I have (2) 12" subs (SVS PC-Ultras).

Option1: RF-5 mains with RC-7 Center

Option2: RB75's for Mains and Center

Three RF5's are not an option due to screen height. I will eventually upgrade my rears to either RS-35's or RS-7's when my budget allows.

Which setup would you go with?

Thanks,

Anthony

I would go with the bigger RF-5 floorstanders in the front.

I would go with RB-75's in the back vs. the RS-35 or RS-7 though, more so if you listen to music because all you will get is echoes from those WDST sound sprayers.

Playing devils advocate here....

I would put RC7s over RB75's. Yes I know I know... They are designed as a center speaker, but, they walk (of course this is only my opinion) all over the RB75's. I say this because I actually did a side by side comparrison between two RC7s and two RB75's. There is a logistic issue however with the RC7s being rear ported.

I would second m00n's suggestion for going with 3 RC-7s. This is the setup I am using in a room of similar size and it works really well. There is the issue with the back port but you would have the same problem with the RF-5. However, one advantage of the RC-7 is that they can be used horizontally or you can rotate the horn 90 degrees and use it vertically. I have not done a side by side comparison with the RB-75 so I can not say which is better sounding. But the RC-7 definitely is a fully capable speaker that can hold its own as mains.

----------------

On 5/31/2005 3:23:16 PM ajglennon wrote:

Hmmm, I had not thought of (3) RC-7's, the speakers will be placed about 18-24" from the front wall. Do I need to be concerned with the rear port?

----------------

Yes if you are putting it direcly up against the wall, but it sounds like you have more than enough room. RC7s rock and the most underestimated over looked speaker klipsch has in my opinion! I'm using them for surround and rear duty.

Oh and if you DO run with RC7s, make sure you plug the bolt holes where the adjusment pegs go. Those holes go all the way into the cabinet.

Everyone, Thanks for the feedback thus far.

----------------

On 5/31/2005 11:35:40 AM Frzninvt wrote:

I would go with RB-75's in the back vs. the RS-35 or RS-7 though, more so if you listen to music because all you will get is echoes from those WDST sound sprayers.

----------------

This room is 100% for home theater, that being said, would it still be advisable to go with mono-poles for the rear in a 6.1 or 7.1 config?

Remember, this is just suggestions, you may like something else, but, I had RS7s originally, but, I found that I liked the sound of the RC7s over the RS7s. Not only that but I had something else in mind. i wanted to run multiple side surrounds. I have 3 rows of theater chairs in my room, so, i wanted at least two of the three to have a surround directly to the row. I have too many speakers now, but at least with the RC7s, it's not as bad as it was with multiple RS7s.

----------------

On 5/31/2005 7:19:45 PM ajglennon wrote:

Everyone, Thanks for the feedback thus far.

----------------

On 5/31/2005 11:35:40 AM Frzninvt wrote:

----------------

This room is 100% for home theater, that being said, would it still be advisable to go with mono-poles for the rear in a 6.1 or 7.1 config?

----------------

With a discrete full-range surround format, you don't want your rear channels to diffuse the sound. All of the speakers in the system should have the same radiation characteristics. Any ambience in the sound field should be and will be mixed in by the producer and engineer at production, not by the speaker design.

With Dolby ProLogic, it was very helpful to have rear channels that diffused the sound. The rear channel was mono and there was no way to mix ambience into it other than the delay that the processor added to it. In such a crude system, a dipole does a good job of keeping you from localizing the sound sources.