need some advice

i have a denon 3803 surround reciever.i have looked at the manual, and i see no mention of how to hook up the speakers to get dd or dts 6.1.As i have it now, the two speakers are hooked up to surround b.the other option is surround back, which is also a second zone if wanted.in the set up of the reciever i have surround a+b highlighted.i can choose between a,b, or a+b.i wish i wasn't so confused.

It's cool, I got this one.

You want to use the surround back out puts.

Those also double as the as the zone B.

So, for example, if you were not running 6.1/7.1 you could use those outputs to implement another set of speakers in another room (zone B).

Since your intention is to run 6.1, you must sacrifice the ability to use that output as a second zone.

The surround B is so you can set up 2 different side surround for different types of 5 channel surround listening.

One set in the corners and one adjacent to your listening position as required per different types of surround mixing.

Hope that helps some.

Regards,

John

A quick question regarding using the zone 2 outputs to provide an additional surround 'mode'....

I can understand using it to provide simply another 'fill', but the 5.1 mix is dependent upon each channel exhibiting characterisitcs relative to each other in both content and timing. And wouldn't this zone 2 fill be totally lacking in both such a 'mixed' component designed to tightly integrate and to provide localized content? And wouldn't the time /phase relationship relative to the rest of the mix (assuming that this is accurately configured in the first place!) be totally 'screwed up'?

So while you might achieve added gain, won't it will be at the expense of defeating the building of whatever mixed soundfields that were constructed by the mix engineers?

If using the additional zone source seems useful, it seems that you would be better off just running a bunch of additional stereo speakers in parallel/series combination and saving the money you spent on a DD or DTS decoding scheme that you have just effectively perverted via the use of the zone 2 interface....

Ummm, I don't think you understand the Zone2/surround thing...

Denon built the reciever to be 7.1/6.1 (basically the same as far as medium formats go). There are DTS dvds out there recorded in discrete 6.1 channels. Connecting the rear surrounds to the rear surround outputs gets you these discrete channels. Technically, the 2 rear surrounds for 7.1 are fed the same signal as the single rear for 6.1. For normal 5.1 encoded tracks, the reciever matrixes the rear surround to help fill in that void in the rear (exactly how the 3 channel stereo concept works that PWK talks about in the dope from hope). If you got 7.1, the 2 rear channels are then matrixed slightly different than the single rear for 6.1 and that's where the only difference lies between 6.1 and 7.1 recievers.

However, most people stick with 5.1 and Denon realized that they could provide a "zone 2" powered by the unused rear amps in the reciever. So the zone2 is just an expansion feature which some people might find more useful than expanding to a 7.1 system.

One thing to note about the denon is that there is a switch on the back of the reciever to choose between surround or zone 2 duty. The annoying thing is that you have to move the switch when the unit is powered off (aka, totally unplugged...it's in a standby mode when it's plugged in). It took me like 3 weeks of wondering why it wasn't working to figure out the problem. I think they are by default in the surround mode, but it never hurts to check. The manual should explain it for ya. Btw, I have the 1803 so I'm not sure if it's different for the 3803.