Cool article about SPL exposure (live sound context)

kenratboy

I've read that article and it does bring up some good points.

It would be nice if these places did offer ear plugs for anybody that wants them.

Now granted, most people that goes to those concerts knows what they are getting into. Maybe that is why there is a relative lack of lawsuits that resulted out of this.

One of the more insteresting statements that I saw in that article:

----------------

It would be interesting to have the THD figures from these shows to see how much distortion was present on top of the very high SPLs.

----------------

Yeah, tell me about it! I was at a nightclub just this past April and saw Sonata Arctica play there. They had that thing just friggan cranking! Way more loud than I'd would have rather listened to it. Unfortunatly, although it was loud, the sould quality really was not all that great, not anywhere near what I am used from my own home setup. It was cool to see the band playing live, but I wish it was not so damn loud and the quality was a bit better.

On the flip side, when I saw Trans-Siberian Orchestra last fall, yes, it was loud, but it actually sounded extremely good. Pretty wild to think, "Hey, this sounds just like at home!" It was not as loud as the Sonata Arctica concert either, but it was still pretty loud.

When I going to ProgPower VI in Atlanta in September, I am going to have ear plugs with me.

That is what I have been preaching here on the boards. If you have peaks over 90db that is fine, but not for sustained listening. Hearing damage happens at much lower levels than what we think. Our ears adjust so we think nothing is wrong, but in reality, your ears are being damaged. Sustained levels should be in the lower 80+ db range with the peaks hitting over 90 db. Of course, this is peaks not caused by low frequency material. If your talking subwoofer sounds, than you can go much louder with no damage.

I did hurt my ears with a Bose Professional Bass Bin one day by accident. I stuck my head into the front of the bin to see what it was like, it was a dumb move! It really hurt my ears! Then last year I stood at the fence at an NHRA track while a jet car made a run. My ears were about 40 feet from the exhaust and it really hurt my ears. Another dumb move on my part. So, protect your hearing at all costs. Keep you system down in the low 80db range for safety. I listen in the 70s with 80+ peaks and that is loud enough for me, unless I just want to kick it up a notch for fun.

I have exquisitely sensitive hearing, and every time I've been to a concert at an enclosed venue, I've had pain afterwards, as well as temporary hearing loss.

At this point I cannot attend an indoor concert (or a club, for that matter) without wearing earplugs.

The worst was a concert where a talentless band called 'American HiFi' or something, opened up for the feature band, and they jacked up the music so loud that I was in physical pain.

I lost much of my hearing for 3 days afterwards, and had tinnitus for almost a week. It was just me though, because others in my group weren't affected nearly as much.

Not only are high sound levels potentially damaging, sound levels are all too often uncomfortable for me also.

I often carry some inexpensive foam earplugs with me, and find that I use them in movie theatres and other locations more often than I should need to. I also cut the foam plugs in half, to lower the sound levels only partially, and make them less obvious.