Outlaw 990 or Denon 3805?

BobbyT

The Outlaw unit has a USB port that can be used not just for upgrades, but also as an audio input. You can actually get digital audio into the receiver via USB. To fully appreciate how amazing that is, consider that the connection is bidirectional and bit-perfect, unlike SPDIF.

This is just one of the specs that make this unit an awesome buy, especially for the price. Now if only the DACs are good, then it's a true beast.

I would try the Denon with outboard amps and the optional mic. The reason is the acoustic room correction built into the Denon. This is a HUGE improvement in sound quality when done correctly. Room treatments alone help, but room correction can improve the sound qualty where room treatments stop.

Bill

You guys all have good points. My name is on the list for the 990. But by the time I get one the 3806 will probably be out1.gif . Since they have a good return policy at Outlaw I figured it couldn't hurt to try one out. It's a hard decision having heard what room correction can do. But this would only affect movies. All of my music is coming in through analog.

I guess the question to ask now is room correction worth it just for DVD movies and some TV watching?

Edit:one other thing I like about the 990. With it having xlr outs it could be paired in the future with a nice pro amp cheaply. Throw in a CD player, maybe a TT, and I have a good base for a 2 channel system.

My own personal opinion is that Denon SUCKS!!!!!

It sounds pretty good, but reliability and service are terrible.

Maybe it's just me, but I lost a channel on an integrated amp and it only took them 4 months to repair it under warranty.

Some 15 years later, I thought maybe things would be better. I bought the DVD-3800 and the center channel was dead out of the box. Away it goes for 2 months and I get it back. Now, it has a purple haze at the top of the screen and it occassionally freezes up in spots on DVDs. I wonder how long this will take? If it's working when I get it back, consider it sold!

Jeff