LaScalas

hach13

Like anything used, buyer beware...

Are drivers all Klipsch?

All working? Test at low to mid to mid hi levels to "your reference" comfort at all levels. (Does not mean crank em at first way up either...) LOL

Replace all fuses when you get them too.

They might sound a tad bass shy, but that depends on your amp and what application esp for HT. You WILL need a sub.

La Scalas are probably the most indestructable speakers in the Klipsch lineup IMO. Not much other than a blown tweeter/ if your lucky just a fuse too, (someone else doing something stupid,) can happen to them.

Remember, these were created as a PA speaker for Rockafeller to be on top of trains or fill local auditoriums. They will have no problem filling your house.

That said, they are just incredible, fantastic, clean, amazing, speakers. If your ears fall in love with them, you might be hooked for life!

Hello,

If they're made in the mid 80s or so, the LaScalas could have the AL crossover network in them. Take a look in the back left side, and note the model number. Bob Crites mentioned to me that sometimes the tweeter protection on them and shift and cause the tweeter to blow, requiring a new diaphragm (and new caps on the crossover). This has happened to mine. The previous owner blew the tweeter, so he replaced it, and when I got it, the replacement was blown too, so Bob diagnosed it must be the crossver. So just take a look at the network, and if it IS an AL, take a close listen and make sure both tweeters are good.

That's all I can think of, hopefully someone else wiser than I will chime in. Good luck! Where are these located? Is the price fair?

LaScalas are fine speakers. I agree with Indy's advice on a sub, too. When I was listening to LaScalas, they didn't sound right, to my ears, until I got a sub. Just the nature of that particular beast. The LaScala bass bin does not reproduce the low bass of a Cornwall or Khorn.

Like Khorns, the LaScala crossovers are in the HF section with more exposure to the environment than the sealed enclosures of Cornwall or Heresy. Depending on the date of manufacture, the crossover caps may need to be replaced to get back to factory spec. Lots of possibilities there. For the most economical, (factory spec) check with BEC (Bob Crites) on this forum. Other killer crossover possibilities are Al Klappenberger or DeanG, also on this forum.

tweeters frequently blown. Stuff a sock in mid horn or use your hand to diffract tweeter sound upwards so you can tell if it's definitely working or not. $50 or so repair job so adjust selling price accordingly. If possible, ask for photos or open up to insure all Klipsch speakers. Plastic mid horns preferable over metal- just thump with fingernail, the metal ones will ring, although it can be fixed with the rope caulk modification.

From what I hear the AL networks are not very well thought of, so any other is preferable?

They were made in Industrial (various black models) and raw birch only, so if you get a line on real hardwood veneer, the owner has done it or is lying about it. Most are homeowner stained and varnished/poly/oil, so the quality of finishes vary immensely.

Buy a pair and have fun. I think they're fine for music with a good system, really only need a sub for use the HT, imho, others will disagree. They are VERY MUSICAL!

Michael

If they have AL networks your best bet is to replace them with either Bob's A/AA options or my recommendation would be the ALK universal A's. The AL networks are, comparatively, very harsh sounding networks. La Scalas are said to be bass shy this IMO is a misnomer. With proper placement and quality amplification and source components they produce an exceptional bass however it does not dig as low as Cornwalls or the Klipschorns. Their bass does have a slam factor to it though, IMO Klipschorns bass envelopes you but the La Scala has more of a strong punch to it within its range. You will not here 30 HZ or even 45 HZ for that matter and for HT application you will most likely find a desire for a powerful quality sub. For most music applications I think they are fine. I have had mine for over 20 years and love them. They are a very tweakable speaker you can upgrade mid horns/drivers, tweeters and networks. Many here have opted out of the K400/K401 mid horn and replaced them with SM 120s, Altec VOT 501 and 801s, Al Klappenbeger has a new Tractix horn out that can be used in them. Some have replaced the K 77 tweeters with JBL 2404s or Beyma CP 25s. Or you can do like most and just use them as is. It is up to you. I suggest before you do anything listen to them and decide for yourself what you think. You are the only one you have to please. Have fun keep us posted.

EDIT: Oh yeah welcome to the zoo ...er I mean forum, don't feed the animals though.9.gif