Insulation Today

IndyKlipschFan

"As Home Theater is perfected, the experience it represents,

more and more closely evolves into what is the inner soul of the people into Klipsch.

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land

will reach their heart's desire at last, and

the Home Theater/ Karaoke room will be adorned and finished by a Klipsch fanatic!"

My apologies to H.L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)

Pics to follow tonight!!

Drywall starts tomorrow!

Indy-I've followed your basement theater/karaoke room with great interest as I will be starting mine soon (I've been saying that for a looong time now!) Anyway, I noticed that you used R-30 insullation for sound insullation; how did you insullate the ceiling? It looks like my theater is going to be directly below at least one of the kids' bedrooms, and I'm concerned about bass transfer through the floor. I've read quite a bit, and talked to Picky about his theater, but any input from you would be much appreciated.

Thanks, and be patient for that room to get done (famous last words),

David

About the best way to reduce the transmission is to frame a new ceiling that is not connected with the existing floor joists, rather connected to walls that are framed inside of existing walls. Basically, a room inside of a room. Insulate between the studs and ceiling joists with a product like Roxul safe'n'sound or their compressed panel industrial insulation, like the Roxul RXL-40.

Double up on the drywall on the inside walls and ceiling, this will add more mass and reduce vibration. Tape and compound the joints on both layers, and seal with sealant around outlet boxes and such.

Michael has great points too..

I did do a room within a room thing like he suggested for the HT/Karaoke room. And tomorrow 2x drywall run both ways!

"About the best way to reduce the transmission is to frame a new ceiling that is not connected with the existing floor joists, rather connected to walls that are framed inside of existing walls."

I think the difference of the MUCH thicker insulation with paper tar backing R 30 all carefully crammed in and stapled floor to ceiling, also in the ceilings will make a huge difference in the long run. Time will tell, really, if the few extra hundred it cost was well spent. I can already attest, I can't hear anything on the first level downstairs. Let's see if it works both ways!

I also agree, and will for sure, make sure drywall is glued and screwed in. Also, every box for electricity, including light switches gets a good foam sealant around it.

Not to burst anyone's bubble, but people like Picky have amazing rooms and feel done.. Others like Moon, also have fantastic rooms, but hate them sometimes love em the next. You can, believe it or not, make em too dead... (like it sounds now).. silent as heck all insulation or too lively too where sound bounces all over.

I guess what I am trying to say is this, we follow all these ideas and some work, some do not, you can only do so much.

Got 100K to a million to spend? Someone has "great ideas" I am sure! There are THX speced rooms, CEDIA guidelines..(I did use a lot of their ideas) Silent floor drywall, goo, you name it for your room. The question remains, is it 10x, 4x or 2x better than say a (your budget here at ??k) just for the room? Add the fact that you do not really know what you have till after the room is done. Thats where room treatment really starts!

I also am using this for Karaoke, so I now have a stage, and will have stage lights / party lights in the back for when I want to use them, so in a space that was 17 x 30, allowing 3 feet in the back and 3 in the front, (hide all speakers behind a skrim) it is really a 17 x 24 room Some 9' ceilings, and in the middle vaulted to 10'. Still large, but we will see how it sounds?

Ok, back to work some more before drywall comes Thursday am in 9 hrs..

I will post before drywall, insulation, and hopefully drywall pics tomorrow. Thanks for your interest, I am stressed out to the max and also trying the best I can to "enjoy the process" too. I have almost 2 years dreaming/ saving to do this right.. Say a prayer for me, I need it!

I want to publicly say many thanks especially to Trey Cannon, Steve Phillips, Michael Colter, including some friends not even on this board, who have come over and helped from time to time to make this all happen. Also, to a lot of you on the BB who have shared your experience, pics, and encouragement too. We all learn from one another, that's for sure!

----------------

On 6/8/2005 6:54:29 PM dkp wrote:

Indy-I've followed your basement theater/karaoke room with great interest as I will be starting mine soon (I've been saying that for a looong time now!) Anyway, I noticed that you used R-30 insullation for sound insullation; how did you insullate the ceiling? It looks like my theater is going to be directly below at least one of the kids' bedrooms, and I'm concerned about bass transfer through the floor. I've read quite a bit, and talked to Picky about his theater, but any input from you would be much appreciated.

Thanks, and be patient for that room to get done (famous last words),

David----------------

I had the same problem - I am currently building a HT on our 3rd floor room, with kitchen area below... Worried about the sound, I ended up installing another sub floor over the weekend. Used a great product called Advantek 3/4 tounge n groove. Comes in 4x8 sheets, cost around $30 a sheet. Also, laid down 30lb roofing felt under the new flooring.

I also used R13 for my insulation... thats the only thing I wish I could of done differently maybe... we will see once I get my system on.... the good thing is, i have full access to all my walls, incase i need to put anything else on them.

It is 12:10 PM.

Well the drywall guy calls and sais.. "Well, we can't make it today the truck is broke." "We will get er all deliverd for ya friday and start Monday... n wrap it all up for ya next week... OK?"

Like I can actually say, "No.. get over here now and do it now!" LOL.

Missed expectations sucks!!

The saga continues... LOL

• 1 year later...

Michael,

First off, I often read your comments. I hope that you don't mind, but I need to pick your brain.

I live in an apartment building, which has been renovated. The wall between my living room and my neighour's bedroom is drywall with no insulation. My neighbour can even hear my TV, just playing though the TV speakers.

Next, my equipment, I have a pair of La Scalas and a pair of Cornwalls; the Cornwalls are stacked on the La Scalas. I play bass guitar, another bad thing for apartment living.

I have just returned from Home Depot. My plan is to make a 2 X 4 frame, 8 feet by 8 feet, filling with Roxul sound insulation.

The Home Depot expert advises that I cover the insulation with 1/2 inch MDF, as he claims that MDF is another great insulator for sound. I don't know how much bass response will be reduced with this project, however I believe that most of my TV sound will be trapped.

I do not know how I would attach this frame to the wall; any suggestions?

I don't know if this will solve my problem.

Do you know how I can solve my problems, or offer any advice.

Thanking you in advance for you time.

Richard,

I would be a little nervous about doing anything structure wise to a existing apartment..

The room within room thing does work.. Picky even used a membrane to further his seals..

Please let us know how yours turned out.. I am pretty happy with mine.

post-5910-13819329723134_thumb.jpg