First impressions of Sub-12

Blackmesa

A lot smaller than my SVS PB-12 ISD but it kicked every bit as hard. I think, other than the deep deep bass it has it matched! I'm very impressed however some idiot decided to break off one of the feet so it wobbled everywhere which could not have been good for the sound quality. It was hooked up to the entire S-3 C-3 line, and to test it, i just unplugged every speaker :) BestBuy people we're looking at me kind of wier.d Anyway, it was not corner loaded in fact not even wall loaded. But still kicked pretty hard! I was happy with its performace but I want to test it more.

Best buy was also stocking Vienna Acoustics matched with some REL subwoofers. They were set up perfect in a sound room with some nice hardware playing phantom of the operaa DVD. I was amazing by the sound quality of those speakers and if they were not 8,000 bucks a pair, I might consider them! I hope Klipsch releases their premier line soon, Im very excited they will have new speakers in this price range for a change!

----------------

On 6/14/2005 9:45:57 AM Jay481985 wrote:

I wanted to hear the setup of the synergy F3 and the Sub 12 or 15 But as with the other bestbuys in my area. They are broke!!!
----------------

There is no SUB-15 - it would be awesome if there was!

----------------

On 6/14/2005 12:22:25 AM Blackmesa wrote:

I hope Klipsch releases their premier line soon, I’m very excited they will have new speakers in this price range for a change!

----------------

They do have Klipschorns 2.gif ...

----------------

On 6/15/2005 10:03:48 AM formica wrote:

----------------

On 6/14/2005 12:22:25 AM Blackmesa wrote:

I hope Klipsch releases their premier line soon, I’m very excited they will have new speakers in this price range for a change!

----------------

They do have Klipschorns
2.gif

----------------

I don't have a room for K's, but some day I may.

Yes, the tiny 8" REL's were no match for the Sub-12 for 1/3rd the price.

----------------

On 6/14/2005 1:57:03 AM kenratboy wrote:

Which BB store (obviously a Magnolia one)?

The SUB-12 gives anything in Mag a run for the money
2.gif

----------------

This was the Concord store in CA, any best buy in Nor Cal has a magnolia subsecion. The speakers are very much overpriced and are all genearlly small driver speakers. I dont htink they even had anything over 6.5".... and most of the subwoofers were 8".. perhaps a few 10"'s but thats it. They were still nice, but for the price, I'd rather have larger speakers.

----------------

On 6/15/2005 8:11:50 PM Blackmesa wrote:

This was the Concord store in CA, any best buy in Nor Cal has a magnolia subsecion. The speakers are very much overpriced and are all genearlly small driver speakers. I dont htink they even had anything over 6.5".... and most of the subwoofers were 8".. perhaps a few 10"'s but thats it. They were still nice, but for the price, I'd rather have larger speakers.

----------------

What the hell does that mean!? You don't shop for speakers by driver size, and some of the Martin Logan and Def Tech subs (while $$$), have well over 1" excursion.

Martin-Logan - sublime mids and good bass for their size

Def Tech - 8, 10, and 12-inch built-in powered subs, you just power the mids and tweeters

Boston - 7" woofers on the big towers, very nice speakers

Vienna's - amazing speakers. Period.

M&K - when paired with a sub, they can do ANYTHING. My favorite (and I sold over $1,500 in them today!)

REL - collecting dust 2.gif

As for price, premium price for premium products. I choose the Klipsch, but most people who drop cash in Magnolia are looking for great looks, and if they sound good, thats a bonus.

----------------

On 6/16/2005 1:16:57 AM kenratboy wrote:

What the hell does that mean!? You don't shop for speakers by driver size, and some of the Martin Logan and Def Tech subs (while $$$), have well over 1" excursion.

----------------

1"... from an 8" whoopie do, my PB12 can hit more SPL for less than 1/3 the price and 1/2 the excursion... driver size does mater.

oh and if you want to talk about materals or quality.. the vienna's use plasic see through drivers! I was a little taken back by it... for 800 bucks, I was expecting something a bit more..... NON-CHEAP-CAR-AUDIO-LOOKING-ISH

Blackmesa (HL2 kicked ***!):

I sell the stuff, and size, looks, etc. is CRITICAL for what we do. Just today, I had a guy go from this center:

http://www.mksound.com/thx_sys.php#750 (the 750 center)

To this:

http://www.mksound.com/Kseries1.htm (the K7 center)

Because the 750 was too big. Never in a million years would the 750 be too big for me, NEVER. But to the people we sell to, it is important.

Different world, and with this business, this is important.

Thats the point I am trying to make 2.gif

----------------

On 6/17/2005 1:25:27 AM kenratboy wrote:

Because the 750 was too big. Never in a million years would the 750 be too big for me, NEVER. But to the people we sell to, it is important.

Different world, and with this business, this is important.

----------------

That's the same reason we never got the RSW18... or a bigger THX Ultra.

I realise direct sales of these high performance units may not offer a large return on the investment BUT the thing management sometimes forgets, is enthusiasts like us that recommend products to the masses.

You get us excited about a large RSW18, it'll rub off on our friends and family who are more apt to buy a RSW8.

A little OT, but I had to say it (again... 2.gif )

Rob

Its not better, but I think its louder.

The RW-12 has a Cerametallic cone vs a Paper composite. The RW-12 has a little bit low FR response and of course it comes in a wood laminate finish, which Im actually not crazy about. The RSW are real wood veneer I believe.

Blackmesa, I've already asked this question but no one really answered my question, maybe you'd be able to help me out!... note that all the prices are canadian. The Klipsch RW-12 is retailing at 899$ over here. The guy at the store is willing to drop it to 750$, I told him I already have a RW-8 and he willing to give me 250$ for it, so the RW-12 would only cost 500$ CDN, which is , in my opinion, a good deal. Now, I could possibly get the HSU STF-3 for something around 750-800$. From what I've read, the SVS PB-12 ISB and the HSU STF-3 are pretty much the same! I'm pretty lost and I'm not sure whawt I should do.