Question: Blueberry Hookup

TheEvan

Okay, while my she-mice are away, this cat's playing.

I'm making all my Blueberry connections for the first time. In the spirit of changing one thing at a time, I'd like to use the amp section of my Luxman L-430 integrated. Here's my dumb question:

Back of the Lux has "Pre-out" RCA's and "Main-in" RCA's, connected to each other with jumpers. I remove the jumpers, & connect BB's output to Main-in. Right?

Sheesh. Beginners, eh?

Whoah, it WORKS, and HOW!

(Um, my Lux is L-309, not L-430. I must be subconsciosly lusting for a Lexus, which would be quite out of character for me.)

Well, right off the bat, with Ladysmith Black Mambazo in my cheap DVD/CD player, bass is both bigger and better defined. Otherwise, sounds pretty familiar.

Then I put Oregon's Into the Woods on the TT. Yow! Very natural, clean, the upright bass is just beautiful, piano sound is okay, horns are awesome. And percussion is HERE. Ralph Towner sounds like he's here, too. Okay, this is FUN.

Pretty strong tube rush there. Hey, BB-ers, how quiet are yours? Just wondering if I've got a loud tube or something. Even the line section gives out a fair dose of white noise. The phono section is only a wee hair noisier than the line section. (That's one heckuva phono section!4.gif

I hooked up the Teac. It knocked the tube rush to about half, a very acceptable level, and about what I'm used to for quality tube gear through Khorns.

What baffles me is why the rush was so loud with the Lux amp section, even with gain & volume all the way off on the BB. It would still pass a latent low level hiss to the amp with all knobs to the left?

Hah, just looked again at the rear end of the Luxman (baby's got back!) and there is a level pot by the amp inputs. I used this to trim down the level so the front colume control was more useful. After a bit, I'll hook back of to the Lux and see if this pot acts on the amp, or if it merely trims down the preamp level going into the amp.

Yeah, yeah, a beginner, I know. A bit like watching a train wreck, right?2.gif