I'm returning my iFi

After having it for a week or so, I have decided to return it. I am not returning it because it doesn't sound good, because it does. I am returning it because, if I want TRUE hi-fidelity sound. I shouldn't be listening to compressed audio files and being that they are compressed files, WHY am I paying $400 to make compressed audio sound better in my home.

AAC and MP3 files are great for audio on the go,but Do I really want to pay that much to have a system made for compressed audio?

I will get back to building a great Hi-Fi system.

A 320kbit MP3 file that was well encoded on one of the latest encoders will sound ALMOST indistinguishable from the original.

iPod can also play uncompressed WAV files, so for every 10GB, you could put 15 full uncompressed CDs on it.

At least half the songs on my iPod are done at 16 bit 44.1kHz, which is exactly CD quality. The rest are at 196k, and it's good enough for poorly recorded music (most stuff on the radio)

Don't give up on the iPod it will do what you tell it to.

And you can always use a CD player as a source for the iFi.

----------------

On 6/16/2005 8:38:11 AM Joy_N_Repetition wrote:

After having it for a week or so, I have decided to return it. I am not returning it because it doesn't sound good, because it does. I am returning it because, if I want TRUE hi-fidelity sound. I shouldn't be listening to compressed audio files and being that they are compressed files, WHY am I paying $400 to make compressed audio sound better in my home.

AAC and MP3 files are great for audio on the go,but Do I really want to pay that much to have a system made for compressed audio?

I will get back to building a great Hi-Fi system.

----------------

Don't use iTunes for compression, i think that crappy software defaults to 128k, I use 320 and i still dont even notice anything more than 256. I run those files off much more expensive Klipsch speakers and they sound just fine. You can also store non-compressed audio on your ipod, but you will not be able to tell the difference between that and hi bit rate mp3s. Any besides, like Andy said, it has a line-in for a quality CD player if you have it.

Just a note on using CD players...

Obviously the system is primarily geared toward iPod, and the gain is set accordingly.

All the *portable* players I've seen (MP3, Discman, in other words battery operated devices) are fine to use in the AUX input jack on the back of the iFi Dock. The line level (or heaphone level) output of these devices is about the same as the iPod. Usually they are just a bit lower.

The Line Input jack on the back of the amplifier panel is primariy intended for connection to a computer, which has its own volume control.

Laptop computers and desktop computers with 2 channel soundcards (and soundcards integrated to the MotherBoard) have a line output level that is somewhat lower that your typical upgraded soundcard. Due to the recent popularity of laptops, especially among college students, the gain levels of the LINE input on the amp panel were set with this in mind.

***High end sound card users will want to carefully check the volume level settings on the soundcard to avoid overdriving the input stage of the iFi. Generally speaking though, High-end sound cards are usually 5.1 or 7.1, and those buyers would be buying our PM Ultra 5.1, which was designed with those soundcards in mind. The solution for those who have these sound cards is to turn down the sound card volume in software.

***Most sound cards (including MotherBoard soundcards) have enough gain to compensate for CD's recorded at a lower level. This means that "hot" CD recordings will clip the sound card output when the volume is set to max, and this can be audible, even when the *speaker system* volume is set at a low level. So we recommend that all sound card users find the correct level setting for their system. Again the solution for sound card clipping or a "hot" sound card is to turn down the volume level in software.

***Home stereo type sources (like CD players) are a different story. There used to be a thing called "CD level" but that is widely ignored these days. Some CD players have an output level control, but a lot of the newer Home Theater receivers have input level matching capability, so the output level control on CD players is not as common as is used to be.

The output level of Home Stereo CD players varies. As a result, some CD players are capable of overdriving the input stage of the iFi, with an audible degradation.

----------------

On 6/16/2005 11:01:04 AM meuge wrote:

A 320kbit MP3 file that was well encoded on one of the latest encoders will sound ALMOST indistinguishable from the original.

iPod can also play uncompressed WAV files, so for every 10GB, you could put 15 full uncompressed CDs on it.

----------------

Correct,some iPod owners should learn this and stop complaining.High bitrate MP3's sound great and most users and pseudio audiophiles would not tell a high bitrate MP3 from the original CD in a A/B blind test.

Ah well