Need a K-33-E

Cornwalled

Hello all you Klipsch fans!

I have a pair of 1981 Cornwall I's, and the right speaker starts to make a crackling sound when I turn them up, but I don't really have them turned up very loud. Upon removing the grilles and the back of the speaker, I came upon an unsightly discovery. It doesn't have a Klipsch 15 inch woofer! It's some generic driver, that was previously reconed. Guess the previous owner didn't think quality mattered when replacing parts. Anyway, it's starting to go downhill. The foam surround is starting to get soft, and has a very small hole in it, and I think the voice-coil is hitting when I turn it up. It must be a pretty cheap/old driver.

I'm wondering if anyone out there has a replacement K-33-E or if you know where I could go about getting one. Fortunately, all the other drivers in both speakers are factory Klipsch and working just fine. I can't complain though, considering I got the speakers for $200!

Any help you have would be greatly appreciated!

Jon Strack

------------

Pair of 1981 Cornwall I's

Yamaha DSP-A1000 7-Channel Reciever (usually in 2 channel mode though) Until I get my low power EL84 Tube amp fixed.

Acoustic Research Ar3A's for rear when I have the DSP turned on

Marantz CD Player

Yamaha Turntable with Stanton EE Cartridge

I believe you can call 1800KLIPSCH and speak to Trey Cannon. My recall is that the K33E is available at about $100. This is pretty reasonable.

From the tone of your post, it seems like you're able to install it yourself.

I don't know about how the wire connection to the driver is marked. You do want to honor polarity. Perhaps someone else here, or Trey, can advise.

Gil

This message has been edited by William F. Gil McDermott on 09-08-2001 at 07:38 PM