Horn Design Theory...

DrWho

Let's say I wanted to build my own horns (bass bins, midrange, tweeters, etc etc...)

Where would I go about trying to research flare rates, cutoffs, horn throat designs, etc etc? I've got a few horn modelling programs, but they don't work very well (which means I probably don't understand horns well enough to make the programs useful).

Go to Volvotreeter link and download the Dinsdale pdf articles (3 of them). This will get you started. I found it quite useful.

Bruce Edgar thought that Dinsdale was errant in using KEF drivers, and maybe so. Bear in mind that Dinsdale is British, hence the propensity towards midrange horns, KEF drivers, etc.

DM2.gif

A Karlson is not a horn.

It is a type BP6B bandpass box (below 100hz) with a tapered resonator with organ pipe type resonances (above 100hz).

You can model the bass response below 150hz or so in a speaker program like BassBox.

Thanks for the volvotreer articles...haven't read them yet, but looks more like what I'm after. I also came across this on a websearch:

http://www.quarter-wave.com/Horns/Horn_Theory.html

Quarterwave is a cool site because the guy has a lot of research on other stuff too...mainly quarter wave designs for loudspeakers. Basically it's a cross between finite baffels, rear horn loaded, and a ported speaker. If you're careful you can achieve all three and totally extend the low frequency response of a driver.

It's kinda depressing how complicated the math gets. I'm actually going to have to sit down and plug in all the numbers myself. 15.gif Maybe I'll get around to writing an excel program that works like WinISD so that you can see in real time what the different changes make and all that. I can't stand how clumsy Hornrespcalc is to use when you don't know what you're doing.

Btw, http://www.diy-systems.com looks like another good source. Just click on articles on the menu in the left and then click on the bass or front horn design link on the right.