FS Scott 299c,Fisher 500C

spaaaz

I would say the Fisher is easily worth $700. Heck I paid $150 to have the brand new wood case made for it. The complete rebuild would easily hit $350 if not more. Then factor in that they usually cost at least $400 in this kind condition stock on eBay. Your at $900 pretty darn quick.

• 2 weeks later...

With modern tube designs, an 8 ohm output-transformer tap will still cope with a 4 ohm load without breaking too much of a sweat. By contrast, while the Fisher's 8 ohm tap will indeed deliver its maximum power into an 8 ohm load, this load is also the minimum that the receiver should see. The sample I measured offered respectable linearity into 8 and 16 ohms, but was perspiring into 4 ohms, and expiring into 2 ohms!

Within those limitations, and using CD as a source, the Fisher 500-C can be argued to be competitive with modern amplifiers.

http://stereophile.com/historical/605fisher/

The Fisher 500-C is very special, with that rare ability to draw me into the sound and the music. It's in the same league as the first wave of SET all stars: Baby Ongaku (footnote 6) Wavelength Cardinal, Welborne Laurel, Komuro 845, and Wright Sound WPA 3.5. The Fisher's line stage is clear, concise, and crisp, though not as crystalline-pure as the Convergent Audio Technology Ultimate's.

Fisher Radio Corp. , you'll find Al Pugliese, postal employee by day and Fisher Doctor by night. The Dr. has lots of goodies to help you restore your 500-C, including electronic restoration packages (aka RESTO-PAKs), which come complete with caps and resistors and all sorts of doodads. E-mail: fisherdoc@aol.com. Tel: (718) 948-7489. Fisher Radio Corporation, 27 Daleham Street, Staten Island, NY 10308.

10.gif