RF-25 question

wuzzzer

I'm taking delivery on a new pair of RF-25 speakers in a few days. I've read a little bit about how new speakers sound better after they've been 'broken in.'

Can anyone enlighten me on the best way to do this?

Also, if anyone has any advice as to the best placement (distance from front/side walls, toe-in, etc.) I'd appreciate any input!

Thanks!

I think it's the stupidest thing i've ever heard. If anything, it's your ears that have to get used to new sound transducers (speakers) in a new space. Maybe the woofer's have to 'loosen' up a bit, but a few hours normal volume should do that.

It's not like breaking in a car where you have to be gentle for x # of miles. Just plug and play normally!

Michael

Wuzzzer,

First, welcome to the forum!

While Michael may not be as diplomatic as he could be, I must agree with him. The whole notion of break in for stereo equipment is laughable.

As far as placement goes, it is dependant on the acoustics of your room so you will have to play around with them to find what works in your room. I would suggest starting with them about 2' from the back and side. Move them about 6" at a time until you find something that sounds good to you.

Good Luck!

Welcome to the forums!

First of all, if you can give us your room dimensions, where your seat is located, is your seat movable or is it a couch against the wall?

Speaker break-in is a myth, it's just audiophiles who believe they have perfect ears not realizing that the device's sonic properties aren't changing over time, it's their ears adjusting to the differences of the device under examination compared to what their "used to".

With that out of the way, placement is KEY especially with music and setting it up, so cough up the room specs (X,Y,Z) and your seating position, then it should be pretty easy to make a recommendation.

Have a blast with your new RF-25's! I think you'll love the detail of the horn tweeter!

-Joe

it's a relief to read that I'm not the only one saying, "huh?" when reading about giving the speakers some 'break-in' time . . .

I should be / had better be recieving my new RB-35s & RC-35 soon via UPS and could just imagine myself trying to explain to my wife that she needs to crank up the stereo everyday when she leaves for work so that my new speakers will be 'broke-in' enough for me to give them a critical listen next weekend, lol

----------------

On 6/20/2005 11:00:41 AM Petrol wrote:

it's a relief to read that I'm not the only one saying, "huh?" when reading about giving the speakers some 'break-in' time . . .

----------------

Petrol, welcome to you also.

At least the speaker has mechanical parts. The real good one is wire break-in!

Thanks for the clarification as to speaker burn-in. Sounded a little fishy to me at first, now I know it is!

My room dimensions are approximately 10 feet wide X 23 feet long X 7 feet tall. Speaker/TV set is currently in a corner facing the short way of the room, but when I get my new speakers I'm re-arranging everything to face the long way of the room. My chair is a chaise lounge that will be set up around 8-10 feet from the speakers.

Below is how my room is laid out. As you'll see in the upper right corner it shows how the wall juts out pretty far into the room. There's enough room to put my TV and the new speakers in that space, as shown in picture A:

RoomA_3.JPG

Or would I be better off setting it up like this in picture B:

RoomB_2.JPG

Can't place anything against the wall on the bottom of the pic because it's the entrance to my office and in the lower right corner there's a mini-bar.

Thanks!

I would go with B. The asymmetry in A will cause problems with the early wall reflections from the left speaker that are not matched by the right speaker. Also, spreading the speakers wider should give you a better sound stage.

Don't worry about not being able to use the back wall. Having the listing position away from the back wall is a good thing. Also, I like the bar in the listing room idea!

11.gif9.gif

setup B looks better than A. You can try the sub behind the TV or in the top left corner.

I would give the speakers about a foot's clearance from the wall and toe them in maybe 2 inches. Just for starters. If you want a cleaner more direct sound, or just a "different" sound than what I just recommended, when looking at the entertainment center, have it so the speakers drivers are point straight to your head. ;)

Either way, it'll sound different, which is best is up to you.

-Joe

Thanks guys! The speakers arrive on Friday and I'll have fun experimenting with different setups. Already have the first few DVDs/CDs picked out that I'll listen to and watch! 9.gif

P.S. Did I mention I picked the RF-25s up on eBay for $366 ($461 with insured shipping) brand new in the box? 6.gif

You got a great deal for sure. I got mine for about $500 w/tax and all at a local (awesome place!!!) dealer and was quite pleased with that price. Many say they do not hold a candle to the RF-35's, but I use a sub and am more than pleased with the sound quality from them. Obviously if I did not use a sub then a move up to at least the 35's would be good. For us, our smaller room size, our budget, etc......we are pleased with what we have!