can somebody help me please?????

bigrol21

Hello,

I am new to the whole home audio biz and the forum. I am trying to connect my playstation 2 to get surround sound to it. I have my TV hooked up to the back of my DVD player with an S cable. Now, I'm not sure wheather I should hook it up through my receiver at the moniter terminal but I don't think it will improve my picture when I watch DVDs. I think I only have one in and out at the back of my TV. I think another part of my problem is that the S cable is taking priority and won't feed the regular video signal. Please advise how I should hook it all up. I tried to call Denon but could not get a hold of anyone live!!!

Big, welcome to the Fourm. Sorry I can't help you with this one-not very technically inclined. Hopefully someone will remember one of the reason why we are here and help you out. If not repost this is the Home Theater Section and I'm sure you will get lots of replies.

----------------

On 6/20/2005 1:36:06 PM bigrol21 wrote:

Hello,

I am new to the whole home audio biz and the forum. I am trying to connect my playstation 2 to get surround sound to it. I have my TV hooked up to the back of my DVD player with an S cable. Now, I'm not sure wheather I should hook it up through my receiver at the moniter terminal but I don't think it will improve my picture when I watch DVDs. I think I only have one in and out at the back of my TV. I think another part of my problem is that the S cable is taking priority and won't feed the regular video signal. Please advise how I should hook it all up. I tried to call Denon but could not get a hold of anyone live!!!

----------------

I assume you have a Denon reciever, by the last statement you made.

To hook up a PS/2 to get surround sound, you must use the optical out on the PS/2 and hook it to one of the digital inputs on your reciever.

Due to the fact that you have only one input and output on the TV, you may just have to suck it up and hook both the DVD player and PS/2 to the reciever, and then hook the monitor out of the reciever to the input of the TV. Sounds like you only have S-video on the TV, so just stick with the S-video outputs of the DVD and PS/2 (if you don't already, you may have to buy the S-video cable for the PS/2 - just get the regular Sony branded one, don't pay extra money for the Monster one). To be honost, I had my setup like this before I got the new 55-inch Mitsu, and I was hard-pressed to tell any real difference in the picture quality between hooking it up directly to the TV vs going through the reciever (I had a 32-inch Sharp).