sony cd player

r.cherry

I have accumulated several sacds and was more than curious as to the benefit in two-channel mode play back. I was in best buy and bought the only dedicated cd player they offered. This is a Sony scd-ce595. It sounds flat and lack-luster to me compared to my old player? I think I have it set right to play two channel, I know its a cheapo player so it will be going back. Am I doing something wrong? My old player is perhaps 15 yrs. Old. I have tried to get some suggestions as to a good player before with little luck. I listen to ALL MUSIC

I dont want to buy another soon so a good one under 800.00 would be great. As well as a place to get it as kind of a caveat I am leaning heavily towards buildind some sort of cornscala speaker in the future.

oh, i wasnt at all trying to discount the knowlege of people who visit and post on these forums. But on that board, it's MUCH more active and it's specific to dedicated source components not just "technical questions".

I was just trying to help him get an answer quicker, with different opinions.

Not to hijack this thread, but here's a good link to brush over if you find most of your questions on forums go unanswered. It's designed for hackers/programmers and was recommended to me by my professor. It really applies to anything though and is some good information on how people in forums generally act.

-Joe

if you are looking for a good dedicated cd player, i would suggest you watch for a jolida jd 100 tube out put and beleive me worth every penny. i bought mine off audiogon for 750.00 and i was blown away by build quality, and sound simply amazing. you wont be dissappointed, i have a 15 year old onkyo top of the line setting next to it that i was happy with till i bought the jolida JMHO10.gif Joe

I have the Sony DVP-NS775V single disc DVD/SACD player. I paid $129 for it at Circuit City about 6 months ago and I am VERY IMPRESSED with the audio/video quality of this unit especailly at the price point! I have it in my bedroom system with the 5.1 outs going to my Promedia Ultra 5.1's and I couldn't ask for more for a bedroom HT/music system.

Why don't you just buy a good stereo D/A converter? If the cheap SACD player does a good job with SACDs, you can still use it to drive the DAC for CDs.

I liked the CAL Alpha....just make sure your preamp has at least a 50K input impedance...usu ~$400.

But, there are lots of options out there, depending on how your tastes run.

I think you'll save some money and end up with better CD performance.

Jeff

there are quite a few really good choices in your price range, the pioneer 47ai, or 45a, a few good donons, just to mention a few, but stay away from thoise cheapos under 2-300 dollars they sound bad and are built to last for a shoert while, plus there is a saying that holds pretty true especially in audio, and that id you get what you pay for, i have heard the sonys, and even have one for my son, but i cant stand the sound... artificial, boomy like a boom box, missing frequency ranges..... it is a large list, stay away from sony

This may be a bit late but....

If they still have them--Soundseller.com has new (not refurbished) Sony DVP-s9000es DVD/SACD players for sale at $549 (msrp c. $1500). They are dedicated 2 channel.

Built like a tank (27lbs) they also make excellent 'transports' if you ever want to use an outboard DAC.

Come with full 5 year Sony warranty.

Search a bit at Audio Asylum if you want some info on them.

This is a very good player at an excellent price.

Mark