Question about connections......Cables?

point_and_shoot

While reading a recent post I was introduced to the DVI cable setup. I was wondering which is the absolute best as far as audio/video connections go. Is it RCA, the 3 color red yellow green deal, optical, s-video, dvi, or what? I am soooo confused. Right now I am using the optical for audio and the 3 color thing for my video. I do have a HD compatible TV. I am using a Denon 1804 receiver. I am also using a HDTV Comcast Cable converter box and a Denon 1815 DVD player. Somebody help!

For video quality it goes like this: (OK) Composite (Yellow RCA) - (Better) SVideo (SVHS connector) - (Even Better) Component (Red, Green, Blue) - HDMI/DVI (Best)

Once you get to the Component level the gains are not as dramatic so if you are already running Component level connects I'd say your all set. You need to have a TV & DVD capable of the other connectors to be able to utilize them.

OK. Let me see if I am getting this (I am a little slow). Component (the tri-colored 3 cables-in-one setup is the best? Or do I need to run composite or S-video in addition to or in leu of? I want the best picture my money can buy. If component is not the best and all I have to do is buy a ned cable or two I want to do just that. So what is the cable that looks like and old printer parallel cable?

----------------

On 6/22/2005 1:45:23 PM point_and_shoot wrote:

One more look at the back of my stuff and I find that my only other option for my setup is S-Video. So I guess my new question is: which is better component or S-Video?

----------------

I am no expert on this subject. But we just bought a new HDTV and HD CATV box. When the install guys (TV) installed the TV they used component cables. They said that was the better quality way to go. The cable guy said the same thing. Sooooo.. thats what we have. Sounds O.K. to me.Ohhhhh... the TV installers said that Svideo and compont can not be used at the same time .. Not sure why.

Roy

Yes, component video is the best option for you (component video splits the signal into the different color channels instead everything in one yellow cable and provides a cleaner picture). And I've read several articles that say that component video is just as good as dvi in some instances depending on the source so don't worry, you're not losing much by not having dvi. And HDMI is the same as dvi only it also includes the audio signal in the same cable.