Welborne 300B SET Amp Kit Review

edwinr

Hi Fi News have published a review of the Welborne Labs 300B DRD single-ended triode monobloc amplifier kit in their May 2005 issue. Specs are 7 watts per channel in Class A with zero negative feedback. There is a 45 amp version that features 1.5 watts per channel. The DRD stands for 'Direct Reactance Drive', a circuit developed by Jack Ellanio.

Export prices are around $1787 with TJ premium 300B tubes and alder wood chassis. There are cheaper prices for those that want a more basic kit.

The reviwer's comment was; "If you can put up shelves, change a tap washer or assemble flat back furniture, you can easily learn to solder... and be able to stitch together a DRD".

Recommended for smaller rooms with sensitive loudspeakers, the Welborne was well reviewed.

Sound quality? "...magical soundstage, openness and sense of space - there is no question that this Welborne Labs 300B DRD does this".

This looks like a good kit for those that are interested in 300B SET amplifiers or someone looking for a simple project.

300B%20Kit.jpg

The above pic shows the simplicity of the kit.

post-15368-13819266763126_thumb.jpg

Most of my listening is well within the 3.5 Watt capability (including peaks .. no clipping at all) of the 2A3 SET. The 300Bs have about 2x the power. I started with the Welbourn Moondogs and performed several mods (listed below). Welbourne quality is excellent. The DRDs look very interesting .. would want a good pre-amp with those due to lower gain than the Moondogs.

Since I've come to prefer parallel feed approach, I would also recommend the Bottlehead designs.

SETs used within their capabilities are tough to impossible to beat. When I want more power I just use a different amp.

Leo