DEFINITIVE 1812 OVERTURE

DRBILL

SONY has re-issued this recording in their LEGACY series. I first had it on Columbia reel-to-reel as DT752. The re-mastered CD is Sony SBK89957.

Performers are Mormon Tabernacle Choir, Philadelphia Orchestra conducted by Eugene Ormandy, Valley Forge Military Academy Band (complete with cannons), and live peals of tower bells.

The MTC starts out with a soulful Russian Orthodox Chant "Lord Save Thy People". This is followed by the PO in a spirited session conducted by EO, and the climax includes the VFMAB and live canons and cast bronze tower bells.

If you only have ONE 1812, this is the one to have. The only flaw is the organ blower motor sub-sonics in the opening chant in the Tabernacle. The rest is stunning.

Also included is Tchaikovsky's Symphony 4, OP. 36 and Marche Slave.

This is one you will play for guests to show off your system.

DR BILL

Dr. Bill,

I remember that one back in '72 great disc.

I guess what sets it off is the Mo Tab singing the Russian Hymn, I haven't heard that on any other disc. I really think it tops the Telarc version.

BTW, thanks again for the center channel box, it works great!, I'm currently driving a Belle as a center between Klipschorns.

Forgot to add that my personal favorite is still the Minneapolis Symphony recording on Mercury Living Presence with Napoleonic era cannon and commentary by Deems Taylor. My mommy gave it to me for Christmas, 1964. Still have it. Wish I still had mommy...

Dave

----------------

On 6/24/2005 8:19:58 PM MrMcGoo wrote:

Dr. Bill,

How does the Sony CD compare to the Telarcs which also use real cannons? I have three versions by Telarc with the latest being a 5.1 SACD.

The Sony seems to have all of the bases covered. Thanks for your input.

Bill
----------------

Bill,

I don't really remember. I gave my copy to RDMarsiii. I don't usually give CDs away so I guess I wasn't terribly impressed with it.

Bill