"Monster Madness"

Big Ears

Sorry to bring up Monster agian, but I just had to share this.

I just got home from my local Good Guys store. I'm upgrading my sub from the RW-12 to the RSW-15 and had to stop by and do the paper work and give them some cash. After about forty five minutes, I asked my salesman if they had a coke machine in the back. He said "sure use the one in the employee break room" Great! So off my wife and I go, down the hall and into their breakroom. We walk in the door and are greeted by a huge Poster board sign on an easel which read "Monster Madness- We need Monster with every sale! most Monster add-ons wins! You can make a difference! Good Luck!"

I about fell down laughing, the wife was like what is soo funny. I'm like, don't even ask! So, I'd like to take this time to thank all of you here on the forum for educating me on Monster. (I own one Monster sub cable-but was going Monster all the way until I asked about it here)I just feel sorry for all the people who get Monster shoved down their throat with every purchase they make.(even Bose) You guys were right about one thing, Monster certinly has their PR and marketing really doing it's job. I'm sure this is not an isolated case of "Madness" It's everywhere.

Very slick indeed. Easy to see where their biggest margins are at. More power to them! (Conditioned Power, that is!)

Chris

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 6/25/2005 1:16:28 AM crazytubepower wrote:

Thats funny stuff but monster isn't superbad just over repisented

----------------

??????????

You mean way over priced!

I work at a Best Buy and we're no longer encouraged (we were never forced) to make add-ons like power supplies and overly expensive cables. That being said, Monster cables are not bad and certainly better than our Acoustic Research Line of wires, but Monster is basically the Bose of wires. Kinda/Sorta decent, but definitely overpriced.

Our BB will be housing a Magnolia HiFi and we'll be sporting Audioquest wires soon. I've heard good things about these.

That poster in the back is actually illegal to do. It's like how Hitachi used to give a $300 check to each salesperson that sold a Hitachi projection TV at 6th Avenue Electronics. 100% illegal.

Sorry for going off-topic, heh.

----------------

On 6/25/2005 12:45:19 PM iriseagainsti wrote:

I work at a Best Buy and we're no longer encouraged (we were never forced) to make add-ons like power supplies and overly expensive cables. That being said, Monster cables are not bad and certainly better than our Acoustic Research Line of wires, but Monster is basically the Bose of wires. Kinda/Sorta decent, but definitely overpriced.

Our BB will be housing a Magnolia HiFi and we'll be sporting Audioquest wires soon. I've heard good things about these.

That poster in the back is actually illegal to do. It's like how Hitachi used to give a $300 check to each salesperson that sold a Hitachi projection TV at 6th Avenue Electronics. 100% illegal.

----------------

I, for one, welcome our BestBuy overlords.

No, Monster is not better than Acoustic Research. And no, the add-ons are being pushed no less than they ever were. And no, the fact that tipping by companies to salespersons is illegal has never stopped them.

Also, Monster is not Bose of wires, since Monster stuff is regular, not sub-standard.

So please, take your propaganda elsewhere.

----------------

On 6/25/2005 1:42:12 PM nicholtl wrote:

Ooh, a little fiesty this morning aren't we, Eugene?
1.gif

----------------

Yeah... I'm very irritated. My USMLE Step1 board certification exam is on the 14th of July and I've been studying full-time for over a month now... and I feel so far from ready that it's driving me crazy.

----------------

----------------

I'm not really that great with the Law, but how is that Illegal? You can't pay a salesperson to sell your product? Hmmm...gotta disagree with ya on that one.

I don't know, if said retail outlet sold Hitachi, Pioneer and Toshiba projections tvs, and only Hitachi was allowed to offer spiffs to the sales staff, wouldn't that be an unfair business practice? Not that I'm against kickbacks, necessarly, but they do tend to sway the sales persons allegiances.

Possibly to a lesser performing product in order to get the spiff. I don't know the law, but it would seem to me to make sense to have one.

My experience with sales tells me those "kick backs" are called "incentives". This is a common practice in the sales world. As is company sponsored contests like the one at Good Guys. It is not unethical to steer a sale in one direction or another unless you are intentionally misrepresenting a product, in which case you should be fired. It is the salespersons job to help educate the customer about their purchse by answering questions, make reccomendations and provide information.

The final descision on a purchase is allways made by the customer and it is the customer who is ultimatly responsible for making an informed purchase. I didn't mean to imply that Good Guys was doing anything wrong by having a Mnster Madness, mearly point out what was going on behind the scenes. It is not the Good Guys fault that the average customer is uninfomed. So as long as they are not saying stuff like "You have to buy these cables or your system won't work", I see no problem with it.

Chris

----------------

----------------

Pay no attention to the people that jump all over you. This is a great forum with really good people who have vast audio knowledge. Don't let someone elses opinions or comments, that differ from yours, scare you away. (Sounds like he needs some sleep anyway.)

Welcome to the forum!