Primer

Amy

I watched it tonight, very weird. It's a variation on the time travel theme, but very intellectual. I think the cover said it was a Sundance award winner. I can see that. Strange cinematography and poor sound, but overall I liked it for it's storyline. The acting was good, for new actors. A bit more explanation at the end would have been nice, but it leaves you to ponder a few things, which is not a bad thing. Overall, IMO 2.5 out of 5. I would say 3 if it would have had better sound.

I also watched "Flight of the Phoenix" tonight. The plan crash scene is one of the best I've seen and had supurb sound. My whole house was shaking and it felt like I was in the plane as it was going down. Excellent! Worth the rental for that scene alone. I thought the whole movie had great sound.

• Moderators

I agree, the sound was not the best. The director talked about that in the voice over version on DVD.

A lot of this movie's dialogue was way over my head, anyway, so I didn't really need to hear it. 1.gif

But I think that was on purpose--no one really knows how to time travel, so the language they were using, at least I think, was purposefully confusing. Although I do hear conversations like that around here in our engineering department occassionally 2.gif

I actually watched it a second time right away, it wasn't a very long movie, so I understood it a little better the second time. Very interesting concept. Made me think, anyway.

Holy crap. Watched it last night and LOVED it. I'm still sorting it out in my head, definitely not for the easily frustrated.

I just loved the feel of the movie, almost like a weird dream, the futility that starts to build as they realize what they have done. Awesome.

I'll probably watch it again this weekend.

• Moderators

ygmn,

Yes, it's about time travel. Not in the conventional Back to the Future or Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure sense, but in a situation where you really believe it could happen. Very scientific and realistic--not flashy or with any special effects. A real thinker, though, as dblue said.

• Moderators

----------------

On 6/29/2005 10:12:30 AM dblue wrote:

Holy crap. Watched it last night and LOVED it. I'm still sorting it out in my head, definitely not for the easily frustrated.

I just loved the feel of the movie, almost like a weird dream, the futility that starts to build as they realize what they have done. Awesome.

I'll probably watch it again this weekend.
----------------

Try watching the voice over version with the director only speaking. It's pretty interesting.

----------------

On 6/29/2005 10:25:41 AM Amy Unger wrote:

ygmn,

Yes, it's about time travel. Not in the conventional Back to the Future or Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure sense, but in a situation where you really believe it could happen. Very scientific and realistic--not flashy or with any special effects. A real thinker, though, as dblue said.

----------------

I remember seeing Edberts review on this....they really liked it....

And it was made on the cheap for Sundance or some movie festival thingy....

Put this on the To buy USED DVD list....

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...