KLf 20's each sound different

Well I have had some time to switch in and out different pre amps and power amps, and came across this. One of my 20's sound different from the other. Especially in the high end. The drivers are producing sound, is it possible to have one speaker sound different than the other that much too notice????

Before anyone asks, I did all the usual stuff, ran it in mono, changed out the speakers leads to make sure its not in the amp or preamp etc. No matter what I do, even on the same speaker line side, they sound different from each other and even side by side.

Thinking, maybe tolerances in the crossover system?????? could I have a bad tweeter, or tired tweeter. Anyone come across this before????????? Partially could be in the midrange as well.

I've been thinking the same thing about my KLF-30's. I adjusted the level of the right speaker, which seemed to help out during music playback, but with pink noise tests for surround calibration, it noticeably sounds different to me. I was thinking I was the only one who noticed these kind of things...

Big Rig- How do they sound different? Is one brighter than the other? One more muffled? Did you check the polarity of the driver connections internally?

It is very rare for crossover to go bad but it can happen. If it is a tweeter diaphram they are relatively easy to change and don't cost too much(<$30 ea.??) if they are out of warranty.

See if you can get the offending speaker's tweeter out and do a continuity check between the two terminals with the driver disconected from the crossover. If there's no continuity, it's a gonner.

Just don't do what we used to and touch a 9-volt battery to both terminals. If it wasn't fried before it will be now.6.gif

Just out of curiosity, are your speakers' serial numbers consecutive? Mine are off by six (one ends in 243 and the other in 249). I would think that all parts would be the same... but maybe there were minor differences with different shipments of drivers and ours just happened to be made on the changeover.

I doubt it. That happens all time, especially with the Heritage line. Legends should be the same way.

Are both speakers supported the same? By that I mean do/are they surrounded by the same wall configuration and/or distance from each wall?

You could just call Trey Cannon at 1-800-KLIPSCH.

I will check the serial numners, I had not thought of that, that maybe they are far enough apart during production, that there might have been some sort of parts changeup.

As for placement, well I had thought that too, so I moved them side by side, one sounds fantatstic, the other, a little bland. Checked all the drivers, and they are working, ran the each speaker on the same side of the power amp/preamp, thinking that the problem might be in the electronics, no such luck.

Now I did take the midrange units out when I needed to reseal the cabinets, so tonite I will take them out again and check for polarity.

Should I measure the impedance across the terminals, and see what I get there???and compare all the driver units that way as well???

If you run your tests and still find no obvious reason for the sound change, I would recommend new crossovers. Dean can get you hooked up. When the KLF series was brand new, they sounded amazing and awesome at the same time. If all of the drivers are 100% ok, then it must be the crossovers which can age quite easily (the capacitors).

Good Luck!

I had the same issue with a pair of KLF-20's. I removed one of the tweeters and found all of the backing screws holding the unit/diaphragm together had come loose. Tightened everything back up, sounded as it should. Give that tweeter an inspection. Hope this helps.