Newbie Questions

priapus

So...

I've saved up for awhile, and im sitting on about 3600 dollars to build a 2.1 system. I currently own nothing that I would want in my listening room, so I'm starting from scratch. Is this enough to build something decent? I'm currently thinking of rf-7's, a sunfire true sub, and a denon reciever/amp. Completely open to suggestions though. Also, any suggestions on a sonically complex orchestral CD for demoing purposes? I say orchestral because I've heard what I thought were decent speakers turn muddy and I don't know, cluttered, when a friend brought a couple discs over.

Thanks for any help!!

there are several good directions you could go, but if you get good mains rf 7's. cornwalls than you reall do not need the sub to begin with, as an experiment. both of these speaks go very low on thier own, and the cornwalls can actually be felt as they hit thier lower end, and a pair of cornwalls can be had for the price of 1 rf 7 on ebay, and pesonally i prefer the cornwall, and than you would have 26-2700 to use for electronics, this would take you into the price range for a great b&k avr, these avrs take you out of the consumer grade into the audiophile grade, a very noticable improvement

Welcome to the forumn. Sounds like you have a fun time in front of you. Marksdad has some excellent suggestions for you and a AVR setup gives you the option of using the receiver to build up a home theater system down the road. However, if it's to be music only, you may want to consider Heritage speakers matched with a tube receiver or seperates.

There is a Fisher 500c for slae in the 2 Channle section right know that has been totally rebuilt by our resident technician/guru Craig, and it would make a great introduction to tubes and could be sold for what you pay for it if you go another way.

Don't spend all your dough on speakers/receiver, save some money for a good player also.

As far as orchestral works, LarryC knows classical inside and out and I'm sure will have several excellent recommendations for you. He's at the Klipsch Pilgramidge this weekend so email or PM me to remind me to have him contact you.

Finally if you are buying new and dealing with a repuatble store they should let you take your selections home to try them out where you can see if they are the right fit.

Give us a little more info re listening tastes, room dimensions etc. and wiser heads than mine will be ready to assist.

I'm with Thebes on this one. If music is your aim, it would be hard to beat a good tube set up with Heritage speakers. I have a MC-240, MX-110 and Cornwalls and they make beautiful music together! I may get a sub some day for a home theatre set-up which will be mostly separate than the two channel (share the Cornwalls). But it is true that the Cornwalls hit very deep by themselves - plenty deep for music. If this is just the start of a 5.1, 6.1, etc., Home Theatre system then I could still recommend the Cornwalls for the fronts.

The Fisher 500 is huge sound for the money. Maybe you've got the space for Klipschhorns and you could have the beginnings of an ultimate two-channel system for the money you've got.

I will say though that if music is your thing, you should give some tube set up a try. I had a nice solid state system and when I tried tubes, I was hooked and made the switch.

Actually, I'm out to sea right now, won't be home for another month or so. I'm looking into renting a house instead of an apartment specifically so I dont piss off the neighbors 1.gif I expect, going off an average for the places I've been looking at, about 14' by 16' or maybe a tad smaller. I'm also looking to expand to 5.1 HT setup, this is mostly just to be a starter set for that. Over and over it seems, I hear to look into Heritage speakers instead of the newer models. I assumed that as time went on they would get better at making speakers with newer technology/materials. Has Klipsch quality gone down over the years, or does everyone just prefer to have a monster dominating the living room? I can see the appeal, but I (probably like everyone else here) just want the best sound I can afford.

Thanks again

There are those who will always prefer Heritage over anything new Klipsch brings out. I'm not in a position to argue with them because I've never heard any of the Heritage speakers, so I say whatever floats your boat. But I don't think Klipsch quality is going downhill.

I agree with marksdad, I don't see the need for a sub with RF-7's or Cornwalls in a 2ch system. You may want to consider spending that money elsewhere. And if you really insist on a sub I'm not convinced the Sunfire, while being a good sub, is the right choice with a music dominated system.

The RF-7's sound like a real nice choice.

As far as sub goes, is DIY something you'd consider? At any rate, I would put off the sub purchase until you've settled down with your mains and can decide on what exactly you will be needing out of the subwoofer.

I would also recommend getting a reciever now if you plan on HT in the future. A reciever will also give you bass management options that make integrating the subwoofer easier.