Trachorn upgrade; initial results

Greetings,

Yes, I am using the ALK; current setting is 4,1; -7.4dB. That's close, but would like to have another setting between this and (I think) the next step which is -9 or so. You're absolutely right about the 12dB/oct! I was thinking of the l/f and confused the two. Thanks for getting my head straight. I'll probably order a set of the JBL drivers being discussed very soon.

I'm also working on a new mid/high amplifier that will probaby max out at 4 watts or so; can't imagine damaging the drivers unless it hard clips (which it wont). A 76 driving a single 6A5G into a really cool "R" core transformer (I can post a link if anyone is interested).

Mr Al K.............how are the tweeter transformer attenuators coming along? Please set aside a pair for me so I can move the Fostex to the mid horn.

I haven't had a chance to run any sweeps yet, but it's on the plan when I can get a bit of time alone. Promise to post them as soon as I can get to it.

Thanks again!

Regards, Jim

On 7/14/2005 3:36:50 PM DeanG wrote:

Jim, aren't you using the ALK? If so, you are 12db/octave for the squawker, not 6db/octave. If you use the JBL with the ALK, and use taps X and 4 -- I think you'll be fine along as you don't get carried away. Which of course means that option is out of the question for me.9.gif

Did you run those sweeps, and what did they reveal? What tap settings did find worked best with the Trachorn?

----------------

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Al--

Based on your conversation with Jim, I'm getting the idea that your transformer tweeter attenuator will work with the original ALK Type "A" crossover, is that correct?

If so, where does it go, and specifically how would it be spliced into the tweeter circuit (which wires need to be cut, etc.)?

Thanks.

I've been playing with a constant impedance first order network I built. I didn't put any attenuation on the tweeter filter at all - just running it full out. While playing with the squawker settings I noticed that when the squawker isn't playing -- the tweeter really doesn't seem all that "loud". I don't think it needs any attenuation at all. I think what is really needed are some in-between settings for the squawker. With the K-55-M, 5 and 2 are just a wee bit too loud, and X and 4 are definitely too recessed, at least to my ears. I suspect 5 and 2 would be just about perfect with the K-55-V, but I can't get it dialed in with the K-55-M. I think the UT 3636 that Bob uses is the way to go here.

Hi Dean,

I agree that more fine, in-between settings would be nice. What is your source for the UTC 3636 autoformer?

Regards, Jim

----------------

On 7/16/2005 10:56:45 AM DeanG wrote:

I think what is really needed are some in-between settings for the squawker. With the K-55-M, 5 and 2 are just a wee bit too loud, and X and 4 are definitely too recessed, at least to my ears. I suspect 5 and 2 would be just about perfect with the K-55-V, but I can't get it dialed in with the K-55-M. I think the UT 3636 that Bob uses is the way to go here.

----------------