Members Weekly Music Recommendations-June 27

thebes

Well my ears are still recovering from a beating they took last night at Washington, DC's 9:30 Club, one of a vanishing breed of true rockin night clubs. The 1000 watts speakers are custom designed for the place and the bass is not to be believed-was leaning against a wall and the entire wall was moving with the beat.

And why am I talking about this, because it's this weeks recommendation:

Al Green, "The Best of Al Greeen", cd, rythm and blues

Oh yeah, oh baby, the Reverand Al Green is the real deal and still has all his chops. If you got any "soul" in your soul, you got to have one of his cd's for parties and for just gettin down. If you don't know who he is check out his website for a track or two. If you do, why isn't he on the changer?

Took my ex for her birthday. She learned about Al in two ways, from migrant farm worker kids on a bus going to the fields back in the day, from students at some very tough ghetto schools she taught at. First saw him in 1972. Says he walked on stage wearing a silver lame jumpsuit with a roll of quarters in his pocket if you get my drift, and the all church ladies swooned.

So what do you have to share this week?

The Commitments, "The Commitments", CD & DVD, Irish Soul

Deco (Andrew Strong) the lead singer was only 16 years old when this Tom Hanks movie was made. The soundtrack is great and features deep soul sound that is very pleasing to the ears.

Song #9 Do Right Woman, Do Right Man is one of my favorite songs on this CD.

Song #4 The Dark End of the Street is powerful and 100% soulful.

I bought both the CD soundtrack and DVD movie. One of Tom Hanks greatest movies and just plain great music on the CD.

If you like soul then you will love this one.

Online Review:

http://movies2.nytimes.com/gst/movies/movie.html?v_id=10547

PLOT DESCRIPTION

"The Irish are the blacks of Europe, Dubliners are the blacks of Ireland, and the North Siders are the blacks of Dublin ... so say it loud -- I'm black and I'm proud!" Or so Jimmy Rabbitte (Robert Arkins) tells his slightly puzzled friends as he tries to assemble a rhythm & blues show band in a working class community in Dublin in Alan Parker's film The Commitments. Jimmy is a would-be music business wheeler and dealer, and he's decided what Dublin needs is a top-shelf soul band. However, top-shelf soul musicians are hard to find in Dublin, so he has to make do with what he can find. However, after a long round of auditions, Jimmy makes two inspired discoveries: Deco (Andrew Strong), an abrasive and alcoholic streetcar conductor who nevertheless has a voice like the risen ghost of Otis Redding, and Joey "The Lips" ***an (Johnny Murphy), a horn player who knows soul music backwards and forwards and claims to have played with everyone from Wilson Pickett to Elvis Presley. Before long, the band -- called the Commitments -- is packing them in at local clubs. But do they have what it takes to make the big time? Based on the novel by Roddy Doyle, who also co-wrote the screenplay, The Commitments is sparked by fine performances by its young cast and enthusiastic performances of a number of '60s soul classics; the cast, who play their own instruments, reassembled the band for a concert tour after the film became a hit. ~ Mark Deming, All Movie Guide

Greg

Alkaline Trio "Good Mourning" - amazing punkrock CD. Tunes are hard, catchy, and emotion-packed.

Isolee "We Are Monster" - electronica CD.

The Transplants "Haunted Cities" - experimental/rock CD. The drummer is Travis Barker of Blink 182 (but without Blink's poppy crap)

Saint Etienne "Tales From The Turnpike House" - electronica/rock LP.

Clap Your Hands Say Yeah "Clap Your Hands Say Yeah" - indie rock CD. Only available through the bands website.

And there it is.

I heard this guy for the first time last week on the Adult Alternative station on Music Choice. His name is Ray Lamontange, Album "Trouble" It's my new favorite cd. I can hear everything on this CD. Rock-Soul-Jazz-Blues, It's still growing on me too!

I'm normally a rocker, but there is something about this that grabbed me. It sounds like it's from the seventies and could be from Motown, yet it's from CA and was recorded last year. It's this guys debut, so hopfully we can expect many more good songs to come

Here is a link to the Amazon page with samples and reviews. I'de like to know what you guys think about it...

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0002S947K/qid=/br=1-/ref=br_lf_m_//002-3226239-8234428?v=glance&s=music&n=10709691

Kathleen Edwards latest CD 'Back to Me'. There's some excellent lead guitar riffs by Colin Cripp who used to play with Blue Rodeo. The track "Back to Me" is a sizzling rocker that sounds good loud and better louder (thank you, Klipsch) and the track "Copied Keys" is a Suzanne Vega genre ballad with some great slide guitar harmony for Kathleen's voice. Listening to a Kathleen Edwards song is like having a little movie go off in your head.

Her first CD was "Failer" from a couple years ago and the tune "Six O'Clock News" got a fair bit of attention.

She's playing on Parliament Hill live on Friday night for Canada Day along with Sam Roberts. Hamish

Asia - Silent Nation. 80's style hard/prog rock.

I did not think this band was still putting out albums. I honostly thought they pretty much died out after the Aqua album in the early '90s. I've been a fan of this band since those early days.

Well, look at that, a 2004 release, and for this long time Asia fan, I find it to be quite good. It seems to go back to the bands early 80's roots. Granted the line up is not the same as the original line up from the early 80's. Most notable is that the lead vocalist is not the same (John Payne (now) vs John Wetton (then)).

Still, I found this album to be quit good. The track "Midnight" sounds just like something I'd expect to hear on one of thier original albums. Same with the track "Blue Moon Monday". The second to last track "Darkness Day" has a pretty cool opening with a "Gregorian" type chant followed by an interesting techno type riff on the synth.

Overall, I thought this was an excellent album put out by a band that I long thought was gone. Cool to see these guys are still around and producing music.

• Moderators

Dr John

title: N'AWLINZ DIS DAT OR D'UDDA

CD 2004 EMI records

My neice gave this to me for christmas just happened to listen to it again the other day and thought it would be a good one for this thread.

Hard to explain what type of music it is but not jazz more of a blues kind of sound i guess. DR John kind of has a different type of sound , and this cd is a mix of a few different types of music even for him, hard to explain .