31-Yr High School Reunion - my old speakers STILL around!

D-MAN

I went to my 31 year class reunion (we "missed" our 30th so did it this year) and one of my old chums came up and said that he still owned (and uses) the speakers that I sold him back in high school. Now they are mounted up in the corners in his barn.

They were/are corner horns painted with gray-spackled car trunk paint with EV T-35 tweeters and a Radio Shack midrange, and 15" CTS 8 Ohm woofers. I offered to buy them back, to his great delight. I figure the tweeters are worth more now than what he paid for the speakers then.

The original cabinet was purchased from the bass-player in my rock band (at the time) who bought it for a bass cabinet from an experimenter we knew back then. The dude called them "Elephant Horns". I copied the single experimental one and built another for stereo use.

I listened to them for a year or so, when I bought a pair of Klones and sold them to by friend who liked them to make room for the new pair.

These were my introduction to corner horns (I wanted Khorns, but being in high school...). I build the copy with a circular saw. Kept the plans I made all these years.

The original concept was to stack 2 of these in each corner (4 x 15" drivers) slap an upper cabinet on them and ROCK OUT, MAN! I never went as far as building a stack, but for those of you who are rockers, these are YOUR pups, and I ain't lying! But they will take alot of drivers on the top end to keep up if you want to go there.

Plans follow in next post, they're REASONABLY ACCURATE, but don't hold me to it! Caveat Emptor.

DM2.gif

Here ya go, kids - Don't hurt yourselves. Stack 'em high and there your hearing goes... Guaranteed to get the cops called on you. Mine had big wings (shown with no wings) on the top.

*** revision follows in subsequent post *** IGNORE this attachment !

DM2.gif

Note that the original was 24" in height, I shortened this a couple of inches to keep a stacked set from being over 48" tall and THEN the top cabinet on top of that, but that's up to you.

I left out the center horizontal cross-member in the throat, add as desired. Mine actually had them, like the Khorn, the ramification to this is that since its shorter than a La Scala, and the La Scala doesn't have one, its optional; using the horizontal brace in Khorn fashion would require a 2-piece splitting wedge also (or not).

Driver note: The Kappa PRO 15-LFA is an excellent choice for this horn. Optimum efficiency for this throat size.

NAME Fs Qes Qms Qts Vas ltrs Cu Ft Maget oz Le mH Mms gr Xmax mm RMS St sq in

Kappa PRO 15LF-A 35Hz 0.32 9.57 0.31 172.5 6 120 1.04 100 6.03 600 53 sq. in throat

You never stop! 9.gif

NAME Fs Qes Qms Qts Vas (ltrs) Cu Ft Maget oz Le mH Mms gr Xmax mm RMS St sq in

Kappa PRO 35Hz 0.32 9.57 0.31 172.5 6 120 1.04 100 6.03 600 53 sq. in throat

15LF-A

Hey, how'd you do that?! Cool.

Yes, it's a disease that insurance companies refuse to cover. In Latin, Horneae Facinitus or "facinated by horns".

Symtoms include pronounced and uncontrollable drooling, large horn enclosures, and empty wallets or bank accounts.

DM9.gif

that's so fun that you got your old prototypes back after all those years. We need a 'first experiemental cabinet' thread. I remember 2 12" duo-cones in a particle board cabinet covered with that 4" fake fur stuff for my first guitar rig. Really horrible.

Yours sound like a much better design.

I recognised that, too. But the main diff is that this is a single 15" driver cabinet, and to make it "full size", you stack another identical cab on top. Then it's a full size corner horn bass bin setup with the same overall mouth size as a Khorn with twice the capacity for output. A single cabinet means the back chamber and horn is smaller than the full size Khorn, though, but the 2 cones/2 throats will make up for it.

Top end is a problem, though, because of the increased output from 2x15" drivers. Easy to move around, being smaller pieces.

The ones I had were single cabinets, and they performed ( I guess that they still do) admirably. Unfortunately the footprint is slightly larger than a Khorn. It's an interesting design for the experimenter and is simple to build.

DM2.gif

EV HP640 horn, 2" throat, can be crossed at 400hz. Available used on eBay for about $75 each (plus shipping).

BMS co-ax, about $320 each (plus shipping).

112dB/W on the above horn, available in 8 ohms too.

• 1 month later...

I haven't laid eyes or ears on these in over 30 years... man they are ugly - I had forgotten! But they SOUND GOOD, too - why else would someone keep these dang things all that time! I hear that the WAF was fairly high because the top wings formed a nice shelf to put plants on...

Yep, these are them, over 30 years old, original owner that I sold them to in the early 70's when we were both in high school. The automobile trunk paint seems to have not faired too well. He refuses to repaint them because it would ruin the aged "patina"! They USED to look much better! Note the bass bin seen here is 24" in height as noted in the previosly posted plans.

smallhorn.JPG

These have the "original" 15" CTS 8 Ohm drivers in them. Radio Shack did the rest, I believe. Mounted up in the corners of his garage. They STILL rock, I'll be darned!

P.S., the "grill" covering is not original. It didn't have any grill covering at all. I also recommended that he turn them upside down, of course.

{edit} one thing with "outdoor" folded horns is that they present a nice little home for mice between the cone and the throat. I don't think that he ever has opened these up to check, and I forgot to mention it. Mice don't eat the cone though, but they can haul in material to make a nest out of...seen this in Khorns that end up in storage.

I would have tried to buy these back if they had the EV T-35's that I remembered, but my memory is evidently fading!

DM2.gif

{edit} PS this post appears to have 2 pics in it, but when editing, everything looks fine, only one pic. I can't fix it cause nothing appears to be "wrong"!

post-13458-13819267005096_thumb.jpg

D-MAN,

Are you still planning on buying them back? Look pretty interesting, and it's cool knowing you made them yourself.

-Jon

----------------

On 8/22/2005 12:53:56 PM D-MAN wrote:

I would have tried to buy these back if they had the EV T-35's that I remembered, but my memory is evidently fading!

----------------

Someday I might just have to do that - when I get a garage!9.gif

I posted the plans so that some DIYer might want to jump into making a set of corner horns without biting off the full Khorn as a first-time builder. Worked for me!

Figure its about as complex as a LS to build, but performs more like a Khorn. Sounds like an LS, but capable of more lows. That's a single, but when stacked they will outperform a Khorn due to having 2x15" horn-loaded drivers in each corner, but be prepared to deal with creating a sonically matched top-end to go with it! That's the hard (and expensive) part!

A single is much more tame, and can take all of the normal Klipsch stuff, drivers and crossovers, etc.

It's how I got started with the horn bug!

DM2.gif