more review of dean's upgrade on my rf-7's

knorman

well i have had the new crossovers for a few weeks now and i must say it gets better each time i listen. i did take others advice here and bought a tube pre with excellent results. my system consists of a mcintosh mcd205 cdp, a mcintosh c2200 pre(TUBE), and a mcintosh mc202 amp. van den hul speaker cable bi-wired and kimber hero xlr ic's. the rf-7's were awesome after dean's crossover upgrade in almost all phases of sound. detail,bass response,clarity,soundstage,and imaging. i would have been happy with the 7's with my c41 ss pre, but i am glad i took the forum advice to try the tube pre. the combination of tube pre and ss amp seems to delight the hell out of the 7's. wonderful highs, but not harsh and very sweet midrange. the ss amp still allows the bass to slam its way home almost as crisp as full ss. it lost just a bit of crispness in the lf, but not to the point it disappoints. the tubes really brought out the changes that dean's upgrade created. this speaker as become an exceptional player. i have auditioned Dali Helicon 400 (4300 a set) mcintosh ls360 (7250 a set) jm labs electra 927 be (6000 a set) jm labs 926 ( 4000 a set) and magnepan 1.6 (1800 a set) the 7's not only took them on, but bettered them in several phases. the only set that even came close was the Dali Helicon 400. the highs were slightly, and i mean very slightly sweeter. the lf on each of the other speakers would require a sub to equal the 7's and only the Dali would come close to the presence of the 7's in a large room. the upgrade from dean and the tube pre along with a ss amp sure seems to feed these speakers exactly what they need to become world class. i am very pleased with the crossover upgrade and the change to a tube pre. the resulting improvement was worth the cost and effort. the 7's are now in very elite company to my ears and could only be improved by a sub(someday)do not give up on these speakers as they have far more potential than most would imagine . regards16.gif16.gif16.gif

I also did the Dean upgrade on my RF-7's. Each time I listen, they seem to sound sweeter, clearer and totally opened up my speakers. Just upgraded to a cinema grand 200 x 5 which seems to have kicked them to the next level - OUTRAGEOUS!!!!!