DYNACO Stereo 120 : listening impressions

Shock-Late

Today, as i entered in the hi-fi shop next to the records shop i work in, i noticed a few just-arrived second-hand stuff. There were two dynaco Stereo 120 power amp, an older Dynaco power amp wich i didn't recognize, a SPLENDID sansui preamp with red lacker case (!) alondg with an old tuner, bandrecorder and phono...Typically, it was an old man's stereo, probably the old guy was dead and the wife sold all the stuff.

Anyway, as the seller is my friend i managed to take a Dynaco at home for a try with my scalas. (he's ready to sell me the Dynaco power amps at 70$ a piece, so i couldn't resist the tentation of comparing them with my Musical fidelity power amp).

Well, this stereo 120 sounds damn good! so warm, without being dull! i'm amazed to hear such a good sound coming from one of the first SS amp, they all have that "harsh" reputation! What a nice stereo image, and not even noise or hummm to talk about!!

And it's even more at home with the high output of mu technics preamp than my MF power amp, for wich the technics has too much output.

Do you think 70$ is a fair price for a stereo 120? is it any worth?

Does anyone here has one, or has experience with one? I'd like to share my impressions!

Frans

I bought an ST-120 (solid state) and an ST-70 (tube) from an acqaintance around 25 years ago. I liked the ST-120, but sold it to another friend. I only paid about $60 for it then. I still have the ST-70 (paid $50 for it). It still has the original parts. It is finally getting upgraded. We have TVA power here, and a solid 125 volts coming out of the wall. I'm afraid it will just go up in smoke if I don't change out some parts. The ST-120 may have been the worst ever SS amp, but hey, if you like the sound and it isn't going to die and blow something, why not pick it up?

Marvel