Sub choices for La Scala

cool_blue

----------------

On 7/5/2005 10:11:39 PM cool_blue wrote:

Im going to guess the Ultra 2 is out of my price range, , looking to spend 1K max

cb

----------------

Not much wiggle room with a Klipsch product to match your LaScalas at under 1k except a used RSW-15. The SVS PB12isd2 will get you there at exactly 1k shipping included.

----------------

On 7/6/2005 9:04:13 AM sfogg wrote:

In my old room I used a pair of ACI Titan's with the LaScalas and they worked well together.

In the new system I'm running DIY subs with 4 JBL Sub1500 drivers in them.

Shawn

----------------

If it weren't for the WAF, this is the way I'd go as well. Probably infinite baffle.

"If it weren't for the WAF, this is the way I'd go as well. "

I hear you... the Titan's along with being good subs are *much* more WAF friendly then the new subs.

Best solution to the WAF problem was a dedicated AV room. She loves having the living room back and enjoys the theater room too.

Shawn

At what frequency does the tube-powered LaScala bass roll-off in your listening room? It might begin to slope down at 80Hz and be gone by 50Hz. The empty area below 50Hz is not hard to fill in. Even a modest sub will do a good job there, adding a lot to your enjoyment of music and movies.

The frequency response for subwoofers curves like the Hunchback of Notre Dame. The hump is where the sub puts out the most volume. Subwoofers specs often tell you this output number it is where the top of the hump is. Although the crossover slopes of the subs EQ modify the appearance of this hump like shoulder pads in a suit, the underlying shape still remains.

A 40Hz sub may have a steep crossover slope, making it easier to tuck it into a 50Hz bottom, but it will still put out most of its energy at 40Hz. More likely however, that it will put out too much volume at higher levels too overlapping the 50Hz bottom of the main loudspeakers. A deeper, 32 or 25Hz sub would work better. It will not only give you deeper bass a good thing with pianos and string bass but its upper bass frequency response will often slope down before it intrudes on the 50Hz of the LaScalas.

For the musical accuracy of a flat frequency response, you want the hump of the sub to fit into the empty area as evenly as possible. For movies, who cares. If the bass is too much, just dial the sub back down.

Because the LaScala is so amazingly efficient, it is also capable of incredible output 121dB. It will need to be able to keep up. Therefore, you should also look for a sub that can come close or match the output of the LaScalas.

10.gif

From what I have seen most sub manufacturers emphasize their products integration into HT. HT is driving the market. The SVS or Klipsch THX Ultra II's will do an admirable job with music as well. Biggest problem I see is you cannot demo the SVS without buying it. No dealers! Of course I went to Indy to demo the THX Ultra II's so I cannot offer much more advice other than they were very very impressive.

I'll repost my regular opinion for matching subs to LaScalas: BTW, check out these. threads for a starter...

Best SUB match for LaScalas

What sub(s) will keep up with a horn loaded LaScala?

I'm a firm believer that LaScalas really need a subwoofer to shine esp in 2channel music... as they roll off very early. I don't know at which volume you use those LaScalas but I can say from personal experience you'll need a highly capable sub if you don't want to find yourself upgrading soon.

Your budget isn't high enough to allow for the Klipsch THX-Ultra setup... but that would have also been my first recommendation. The Klipsch RSWs, and Velodyne which fall into that price range would run out of steam at higher SPL. Unless you want to build your own sub, I would look at the biggest SVS PB12 you can get. As mentioned, the SVS PB12/2 ISD should just squeeze into the 1000$.

Regardless of brand, adding the sub to the LaScalas will make you rediscover your music collection! Let us know what you decide...

Rob