RF7 amp wanted: Rotel RB 1090 used

Fast1

I am finding this amp hard to find. I have seen them new for around the 1400.00 mark, but really would like to save a bit and go used. I have decided on this amp for the RF7s as an economical route and because i will USE them and want the extra power on hand. I have heard good and bad, but I will have to hear with my own ears I guess. Unless someone knows of another amp that can compete in the price range. All better amps I have seen are 2-4x the money. I will need to upgrade other components so not in the budget right now. Leads for this amp will be appreciated.

Brandon

For the difference of going 5Hz lower and having a SNR of 125db compaired to 115db, the RB1080 should do everything the RB1090 would. Even at half the cost and probably double the possibility of actually finding one used. The RB1080 is just not a dual mono design.

I mean that RF7's are typical Klipsch in that they are very efficiant. That's why so many Klipshcers are powering their speaks with flea powered tube amps that put out ~2 to ~45 watts (convert that ~X3 to equal an SS amp).

The only bad thing about Rotel RB series amps is that you HAVE to turn them up a bit for all the dynamics, soundstaging, bass and treble extensions to come about. With efficiant speakers that can get kind of loud before that happens. At lower volumes they just kind of lay down.

If you think you REALLY need 380wpc, o.k., go for it. But I think thats a lot of amp for anything that Klipsch makes. Heck, even their huge movie theater speakers (for OmniMax's and the like) can be powered from the headphone output of an iPod.

I think Kathy Mason has the 1090 amp on her RF-7s. She likes the results. Others with amps in this range report better mid-range response in addition to better bass.

My advice is give it a try. If you do not like the results, you can always sell the amp and recover most or all of your money.

Keep an eye on AudiogoN for used amps.

Bill

PS: There is a 1090 used on AudiogoN for $1200. http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampstran&1125870519

If it checks out, make an offer for perhaps $950 to start the negotiations. B

Yes, I have the Rotel RB-1090 and I'm very pleased with it. It can do low volumes very well and sounds great, even Stereophile did a review on the RB-1090 and said that they got that first watt just right, where it DID NOT have the low volume listening problem that some amps suffer from. You can go to the Rotel website and read the reviews there under -Introduction - Product Reviews - Amplifiers - RB-1090 Amplifer. Or go here:

http://www.rotel.com/reviews/reviews_rb1090.html

I can't speak for the RB-1080 since I don't have that one but I've heard many good

things about it as well. The RB-1090 is a mono design so when I listened to both the RB-1080 and RB-1090, I could hear the difference and picked the RB-1090, it was worth

the extra money for myself to justify getting it with the more detail and better sound that I heard. Some have posted the difference in sound between the two over at the Rotel forums of what they heard when upgrading to the RB-1090 from the RB-1080 and was very pleased with the upgrade. The Rotel forum is here:

http://htguide.com/forum/forumdisplay.php4?f=20

Many people have reported how well the Rotel and Klipsch go together, saying the sound is very stunning and I have to strongly agree with that. I've been very happy with mine. The RB-1090 goes new for around $1600 to $2000, and used for around $1000 to $1400, depending on condition. They are hard to find because it's reported that many people are very pleased with them and they don't come available too often on the used market. You can try:

www.audiogon.com

www.ebay.com

www.audioasylum.com

www.audioreview.com goto classifieds section

or your local or surrounding areas at:

www.craigslist.org

Look to the right and pick your area, look under the "for sale" section and pick "electronics" and do a search for "Rotel".

Many people forget about checking craigslist.org or don't even know about it but it's a good place to go for your local areas and there is a lot posted since it's free to sale / buy from there, unlike ebay or audiogon, so many people use it.

The extra wattage is a very good thing with the RF-7. Some people don't understand this but they won't understand unless they had the RF-7's but if you want the best midrange, bass, and just the best overall that the RF-7's can do, you will greatly benefit from the RB-1080 or RB-1090. Some say 200wpc min. for the RF-7 and I can agree with that from what it gives back so well for the RF-7's and you have to hear it for yourself because no one will understand this unless you experience it for yourself!! Yes, the RF-7's greatly benefit from 200wpc or more..... if you want the very best back from the RF-7's can do! I tried less amps with different results that just didn't give back what the RB-1090 does for me. I posted a review of my Rotel and Klipsch here a while back.

Good Luck! 2.gif

I run a Rotel RB-1080, in a 15 x 16 x 7 room and @ 55 db the 7's are untouchable. The sound from these things draws one in and looses one. I had been using RF 3's prior to the 7's, and used a Rotel RB-1070 for a short time, then switched to the RB-1080 because it becomes noticably more dynamic @ a lower volume. Now with the RF 7's, and the RB-1080, the music comes alive (depending on recording) @ low volume, and @ 80 db I can't stand to be in the house with them. As previously stated, buy used to try, you can allways get you're money back, or you could probably even find a dealer to let you demo @ home by holding via credit card.