Reasonable prices?

wangdang

I have Klipsch computer speakers and an early version of the reference home theater system.

I want to upgrade to a pair of Heresies or Cornwalls.

What is a reasonable price for used pairs? Does the type of wood finish really make a difference?

Heresy/Heresy II's sell anywhere from $200-$750 depending on finish and condition. The Birch Raw finishes typically sell for less than Walnut, Oak, or Mahogany finishes.

Cornwalls sell for $500 - $1300 on average again depending on vintage, finish and condition. The rarer vertical Cornwalls will typically command more money since they are not that common.

The better deals are usually found through classified ads whether local or nationwide, AudioGon can be reasonable at times. Here is a good place to ask as well, someone usually has something for sale.

Good luck with your quest!

Wangdang,

Frozen has given you a good idea on market values on these speakers.

No sonic difference in finish type... just user cosmetic preference.

If you can find a pair locally, or withing reasonable pick up distance that's the way to go. Shipping on a pair of Heresys will be $60 minimum UPS ground. If receiving speakers via UPS or FedEx, you will want to be confident in the sellers packing abilities. Even Heresy's are heavy rascals and prone to getting crushed corners in shipping, due to the majority of shippers seeming to have NO CLUE as to what is needed to properly pack to protect from the UPS or FedEX gorillas.

Over the years I've purchased four pairs of Heresys over Ebay. The two pair that were shipped in factory boxes arrived fine. Both other pairs arrived with at least one corner damaged in shipping.

Often on Ebay, sellers will charge a surcharge for professional packing or materials in addition to actual shipping. Sometimes even the UPS stores don't pack adequately. Collecting from UPS (or most Ebay sellers) on damages is a major PITA. If you buy a pair from a seller whose got the factory boxes, that's a winner for sure.

Seems like damonrpayne (from this forum) has a pair of Heresy's for sale right now. The price I saw was somewhere in the $300 range. There's a thread on the forum regarding this...

David