Sub advice

rgreeley

New member, definitely not an expert and looking for some advice from people who live this stuff... I need to add a sub to my family room which is going to used for HT (projector/100in screen) and for listening to all kinds of music (rock, country, pop, jazz). Room is good size at 20x24 feet. Have Yamaha HTR5860 (7x100W), RF3 mains, RC-25, some older KLH bkshelfs in back.

I pulled my JBL PB10 from smaller HT into this setting and it just didn't cut it. Seemed boomy with music and had to be turned up for movies. I'm leaning towards Klipsch because I'm happy with what I have and I've heard good things about the subs.

Without getting into great detail on specs it seems the KSW-12, RW10 and SUB10 are very similar and cost about the same ($350). IS performance similar? Should I search out a good price on one of these 3 models, or spend $100 more for a RW12 or SUB12 and are they similar in performance?

I wasn't wasn't planning to spend over $250 but from what I've read and what I've already invested, a couple hundred extra would be a good investment. Thanks in advance for whatever advice comes my way! RG

Forget about the ksw 12, that would give you no real upgrade over the JBL...

look towards the sub12,

it seems to be the best bang for buck and gives awesome performance all around...

check out this thread for more information (second post) the sub-12 versus the rw 12

http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=67603&forumID=73&catID=19&search=1&searchstring=&sessionID={7D710314-019A-44B1-A35E-8518A3556C15}

----------------

On 7/11/2005 12:18:40 PM rgreeley wrote:

Without getting into great detail on specs it seems the KSW-12, RW10 and SUB10 are very similar and cost about the same ($350). IS performance similar? Should I search out a good price on one of these 3 models, or spend $100 more for a RW12 or SUB12 and are they similar in performance?

----------------

Well first of all its down-firing vs front-firing. I would go with the RW-10 or RW-12, because I like the sound aiming at the front of the audience not the ground. Plus it has more RMS watts.

THX, there are positives and negatives to either style of sub; front or down-firing. Do a search on the Sub-12 and you will find a post where Deon gives them. So IMO you cannot make a blanket statement that a down-firing sub is worse for sound quality. I have also heard the RSW-12 (more than I wanted to spend on a sub for my needs- although I could have got one if I so desired to spend that much....), the RW-12, and the Sub-12. IMO the Sub-12 gives the RW-12 a run for the money in terms of value for the dollars spent and may surpass it in that respect. I almost have to laugh at some of the posts especially on other sites bashing the Sub-12, mainly by those who have barely seen one, let alone had it home to try out. It is an amazing sub and blows away the old Synergy KSW-12 sub's performance.2.gif

You asked for it. You've got a 100" screen and allmost 4000 cu.ft. of area to fill with bass. You need to set your sites a little higher than the subs you currently have on your short list. Besides the center channel speaker, your sub is the most critical speaker in terms of making your HT experience an "experience". DON'T SKIMP ON THE SUB! Look at a RSW12 (minimum) or some of the comperable offerings from SVS or HSU. Now, if you like to build things...............

Oops, Welcome to the forum! Carl

Excellent feedback and just about what I expected. Appreciate the good comments and I'll be looking at the Sub12 or RW12 as soon as funds can be accumulated. While I'm sure there are other worthy candidates I have to draw the line somewhere! Thanks again, RG