Blockbuster Weekend?

updawg

• Moderators

----------------

On 7/12/2005 10:22:31 AM damonrpayne wrote:

I was fairly disturbed by the first one although it was not as weird as the books I'm told JD is my favorite actor but I'm going to have to pass on this interpretation.

Johnny Depp

+ Tim Burton

+ Oompa Loompas

= Nightmares
----------------

LOL, Damon!

I actually did have some nasty nightmares from seeing the first one as a child--specifically the scene where the chubby boy gets sucked up the chocolate tube. It took me many years to actually sit through that scene again.

However, I have since confronted my fears and can now enjoy the movie in it's entirety. I encourage you to do the same!! 9.gif

Gene Wilder was fantastic in the original! And Amy, I too got scared when the fat kid got sucked up the chocolate tube...

Has anyone else noticed that Johnny Depp and the kid who plays Charlie, Freddie Highmore, are also together in Depp's last picture, Finding Neverland? Highmore played Peter, the boy who inspired the playwright for Peter Pan. The kid is a true genius. I think he'll be the next Haley Joel Osment.

----------------

On 7/12/2005 10:45:50 AM Amy Unger wrote:

I actually did have some nasty nightmares from seeing the first one as a child--specifically the scene where the chubby boy gets sucked up the chocolate tube. It took me many years to actually sit through that scene again.

However, I have since confronted my fears and can now enjoy the movie in it's entirety. I encourage you to do the same!!
9.gif

----------------

I'm the opposite. Now that I'm (mostly) grown up I realize just how bizarre the movie was. Same goes for Wizard of Oz and Alice in Wonderland. We should not let kids watch these!

I liked finding neverland but didn't put two and two together! Gene Wilder was such a creep in this movie and I think Johnny Depp can play this part perfect.. I saw this funny article on yahoo comparing him to Michael Jackson they had a side by side picture quite humorous.

• Moderators

----------------

On 7/12/2005 12:11:41 PM damonrpayne wrote:

I'm the opposite. Now that I'm (mostly) grown up I realize just how bizarre the movie was. Same goes for Wizard of Oz and Alice in Wonderland. We should not let kids watch these!

----------------

Hehe, yeah, my OLDER brother used to run out of the room crying when the flying monkeys showed up in Oz. They never bothered me (so yes, I got a lot of mileage out of that). It's funny how some things affect kids in different ways.

I personally was more traumatized by Bambi and ET than Oz or Wonka.

• Moderators

LOL

No, silly, when his mom was shot. I will NEVER forget that cute little deer running around in the snow shouting "Mother! Mother!!" with no answer... Then Dad coming out of nowhere to say "Your mother can't be with you anymore...."

How traumatic is that??

Watch that scene again sometime... the music leading up to the gunshot it is absolutely ominous and frankly, quite scary.

"Gayness" never entered my mind as a child. But yes, I wonder now about Flower. 2.gif

----------------

On 7/12/2005 2:19:42 PM Amy Unger wrote:

LOL

No, silly, when his mom was shot. I will NEVER forget that cute little deer running around in the snow shouting "Mother! Mother!!" with no answer... Then Dad coming out of nowhere to say "Your mother can't be with you anymore...."

How traumatic is that??

Watch that scene again sometime... the music leading up to the gunshot it is absolutely ominous and frankly, quite scary.

"Gayness" never entered my mind as a child. But yes, I wonder now about Flower.
2.gif"
----------------

The creepiest part of Wonka was the thought of having to live with four grandparents sleeping in one bed in a one room house. Those damn grandparents slopping all over that bed grossed me out for years. Hopefully now that Charlie owns the damn Chocolate Factory, they can get some Oompahs to take them to the bathroom now and then.

What is it with Disney/Pixar and single parents? Let me take a look through my daughter's favorite movies:

Bambi: mom dies

Finding Nemo: mom dies

Aladdin: single dad

Sleeping Beauty: prince philippe's dad is single

The Parent Trap

The Little Mermaid: Triton is single

Lion King: Dad dies

Dumbo: I think dumbo only knew his mom?

Aristocats: single mom with 4 kittens

Lilo & Stitch: single mom figure

I'm sure there's more?

• Moderators

----------------

On 7/12/2005 2:58:17 PM damonrpayne wrote:

What is it with Disney/Pixar and single parents? Let me take a look through my daughter's favorite movies:

Bambi: mom dies

Finding Nemo: mom dies

Aladdin: single dad

Sleeping Beauty: prince philippe's dad is single

The Parent Trap

The Little Mermaid: Triton is single

Lion King: Dad dies

Dumbo: I think dumbo only knew his mom?

Aristocats: single mom with 4 kittens

Lilo & Stitch: single mom figure

I'm sure there's more?
----------------

Wow, good call.

Dumbo never had a dad, delivered by stork

Fox and the Hound: Both adopted (fox by old single lady, hound by old single man)

Pinnochio: adopted by old single man

Jungle Book: orphaned

Cinderella: orphaned

Peter Pan: orphaned

Beauty and the Beast: single dad

After a quick search, this article popped up--he sounds a little bitter about it!! http://www.x-entertainment.com/messages/474.html

Gene Wilder was awesome in the first one. I think he actually hated the kids. Yeah the grandparents were pretty gross but funny. I thought Charlies Grandpa was a bit whacked. I love Gene Wilder especially teemed up with Richard Prior. Gene Wilder is one of the few comedic actors who still kills me after all these years.

Read the Road Dahl book....Charlie and the Chocolate Factory...

It is very creepy/strange....supposed to be...

not supposed to be all happy and smiles...

the original movie with Gene Wilder was very toned down versus the book....

I am interested in this....but more interested in Bad News Bears....hehehe

----------------

On 7/13/2005 10:35:57 AM ygmn wrote:

Read the Road Dahl book....Charlie and the Chocolate Factory...

----------------

You mean Roald Dahl. 1.gif

Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator is the sequel. I think the movie combines both (since I saw in the trailers a big glass elevator).