Cornwalls vs. La Scala for 2 channel and HT

Since you have a fully horn loaded center I would recommend to go with fully horn loaded mains as well. You will have the 4 Heresy's in the back to add more punch and the subs will fill in the bottom octaves. Heritage HT kick some serious tukus.

I agree. Since you already have a nice start with a center LaScala, I would finish out the front with the same. I ran a center Vertical Cornwall in between two Belles for a period of time, and while that combination was pretty good, there was a difference in sound between the two models of speakers that was noticeable at times. Now that I have three Belles across the front (tied in with a nice sub), the front is seamless, tight and very, very nice. Ok, maybe awesome is a better way of putting it. I used to think close enough (family-wise) with regards to timbre-matching was fine, but perfectly matched is much better.

There are those who may say scrap the LaScala and opt for three Corns along the front. Depends on which overall sound you like better. Personally, the upper half of the Belle (vs. the Cornwall) sold me on the sound, and I prefer fully horn-loaded speakers (vs. the Cornwall). With the right amplification, LaScalas have more bass than some people think. And the Heresies will add more punch than you think. But, there are plenty of people who prefer Corns to LaScalas. However, those from the gathering report that the all 'Scala/Belle HT was awesome (with kick you know what Klipsch subs). Wish I could have made it. But, that demonstration just confirms what I knew already anyway.

But three Corns could be nice also........ Comes down to personal preferences. Either way you go, stay the same in the front!!

Carl.

If it was me, I would want as many of the same mid-range drivers and horns all the way around in my HT, although the 80-100Hz upper bass in the Corns have more punch that the more accurate, but leaner LaScala, I prefer the larger, more efficient LaScala mid-range horn the smaller Cornwall. As a 2-foot bookshelf speaker however, the LaScala certainly needs a good subwoofer. Of course every HT, no matter how small, needs at least one good sub!10.gif

T, H&B,

I've been battling the same question. Right now I have one LaScala and two Cornwalls. Corns are in front, LaScala is separate, as I don't know what to do with it. Trying to decide if I like the LaScala enough to get a second one, in which case I would use LaScalas for front and Corns for back. To my ears the Corns just sound smoother, but the LaScala isn't in a proper corner, so that can influence the sound. I'm going to get a 2nd LaScala when I can afford it, put them in proper corners, then form my opinion on what to do. If I don't like them, I'll just sell them and get Corns and use 4 Corns all the way around.

-Jon

That is my dilemma. I would definitely sell the La Scala to go with three cornwalls if I were to choose that route. I am also selling Khorns (unfortunately) so I will have some dough left for a nice sub.

I have put so much into refinishing my center, I am leaning towards La Scalas across the front.

Thanks for the input.

Keith

On the sub issue, you will probably want at least one RSW-15, to do your HT justice with LaScalas. Preferable is two subs or a large sub cabinet with multiple drivers. With Corns, you would not need as much subage, but I would still run at least one decent sub (for HT) to adequately cover most radical movie scenes.

So, sub use/purchases may be a consideration for you.

Carl.

I personally have an all Cornwall system, but I also know of all LS systems. LS are much deeper cabinets and might be difficult to fit into the center without some carpentry/hanging of cabinets. Cornwalls are very forgiving placement-wise, and to my mind, have a smoother overall tonal response.

Either way, sub necessary with HT, not necessarily so with music listening imho.

If you've already got one LS, it's prob a simpler route to find another pair, rather than search out/build three CW's.

THere is also the much sought-after CornScala- combining the best of both worlds!

Michael

----------------

On 7/12/2005 2:45:49 PM Cornwalled wrote:

T, H&B,

I've been battling the same question. Right now I have one LaScala and two Cornwalls. Corns are in front, LaScala is separate, as I don't know what to do with it. Trying to decide if I like the LaScala enough to get a second one, in which case I would use LaScalas for front and Corns for back. To my ears the Corns just sound smoother, but the LaScala isn't in a proper corner, so that can influence the sound. I'm going to get a 2nd LaScala when I can afford it, put them in proper corners, then form my opinion on what to do. If I don't like them, I'll just sell them and get Corns and use 4 Corns all the way around.

-Jon

----------------

Jon, just a thought - when you acquire your second LaScala, you may want to have the crossovers quickly refreshened before you make any final decisions between the Corns and the LaScalas. Or see if you can borrow someone's updated crossovers (even ones for K-horns will work) - and give a quick evaluation. Corners also help. My experience with Corns was that older Corns suffered less overall deterioration of the crossovers mainly because the crossovers are sealed inside the cabinet versus LaScalas that are usually exposed to sunlight, junk, dust, etc. And with worn-out or just plain bad LaScala networks, that mid horn can sound like a buzz saw.

Carl.

If you are going to use this set up for music listening also then go with the speaker you like best. If you like Cornwalls better there are probably forum members who want a single center channel La Scala. I run 3 La Scalas up front with KLF 20s for surrounds and it is great!! The only thing the movie theaters beat me on is a huge screen cause my sound is better than at the movies. If you like Cornwalls they would sound great with Home Theater also just go with the same 3 speakers up front.

One mistake I made was my left and right LS are 2004 model and my center is a 1976. The center was being used in Houston at a church and they had added some things to the crossover to use it as a PA speaker. So it had a very old crossover and for music the sound did not mesh together very well. I got Bob(BEC) to build me a new crossover which helped improve the sound on music but it still does not have the sound I want. I may have to order the half the upgrade package from Klipsch, which I think is a crossover and new midrange and tweeter drivers.

Now for home theater I cannot tell a difference. Vocals are excellent no matter how loud the rest of the speaker are! So try and have the same type of crossover in all 3 speakers. Then enjoy!!

Xman

post-13699-13819267235416_thumb.jpg

cjgeraci,

I actually had that exact problem. Mine's an 80's one with AL and K-55-M mid. The tweeter protection went out and blew two tweeters, so I took it out. I now have a Bob Crites AA, however I mistakenly forgot that the AA and K-55-M do not go together. the M and v are different company drivers, thus their impedance is different, and the slope is different. As a result, it sounds very midrangy with the AA crossover. So to eliminate all driver/crossover concerns I'm tri-amping it with an electronic crossover. Made a dramatic improvement in the sound. I'm thinking of trying to use it as a center for now, but it would be a lot of work to get it in there, not sure if I want to do it or not.

Plus, then I'd get hooked and want to buy a 2nd PAIR of speakers for rears instead of just one. Ahh, this hobby is NOT walled friendly! I don't think I'll be happy til I'm surrounded by speakers and 5 watts blows out a window..LOL.

-Jon