Khorn & "stepped wall"

Coytee

The stepped wall might be an inaccurate description.

I have a log house. The logs are square cut 6"x12" (12" tall)

I think they are dimensionally 5 1/2 x 11 1/2 (irrelevant if they are a bit different for the sake of this question)

IN BETWEEN the logs are standard 4x4's which are 3 1/2 x 3 1/2 inches. Meaning, I have an approximate 1/2" "gap" every 12" on the logs where the 4x4's are located (and are inset).

make sense so far?

gonna try to draw picture

[ <-(the two of those represents ONE log)

[

/ <-(this single piece represents the smaller inset 4x4)

[

[

/

[

[

If the spacing worked, the "[" markes represent a SINGLE log and the "/" mark, represents the inset 4x4. This is looking at the wall from the END view of it and the Khorns would be a straight, verticle line on the LEFT side of the setup, meaning, where the "/" markes are, you have about a 1/2" deep, 3 1/2" tall "inset" where the Khorn isn't "tight" agaisnt the wall. Indeed, it's not against anything at those spaces.

These gaps are on both sides of each speaker going from the floor to the ceiling of my room.

Any thought if those gaps, small as they are, might prevent some bass response?

Worst case scenario you just put some plywood up on the sides to get that tight fit. I think the only area of real concern is where the tailboard meets the wall. Some of the guys go to great measure to make that as airtight as possible (which also has a huge effect in the 300Hz region). I wouldn't be surprised if putting that pipe insulation stuff wouldn't be enough to create the seal.

Low frequency waveforms are not particularily sensitive to objects that are smaller than 1/4 wavelength, and none of the obstructions or irregularities that you describe would qualify as an obstruction. That's why the Khorn can fold around somewhat in the horn path.

I think that its probably fine.

DM2.gif

I don't anticipate any bass problems, but it will play havoc with higher frequencies. I have worked on organs in buildings that have just the configuration that you have explained and it rendered the room "dead" acoustically --boomy bass and low mid, deficient treble. This might not be so pronounced in a room of your dimensions as in the nave of a church.

DR BILL

I must say they sound (to me) pretty balanced. However with that said, the Khorns don't seem to "flap the seam in my pants" as I've heard others say, nor as I seem to recall from when I first ever heard them 25 years ago

I DO realize the room has had nothing done to it in the way of trying to optimize their sound and as such, I feared these 'gaps' might be bleeding some of the low frequencies off, rather than slamming them into the listener.

I listened to my Academies last night hooked up to 65 watts and A/B'd them with the Khorns hooked up to the Wright 2A3's

Interesting differences in sound. The Academies seemed to fill in some bass that didn't SEEM to be there with the Khorns but when I turned the Academies off and listened strictly to the Khorns, they (Khorns) seemed far more natural in their sound.

I still felt more punch when I had all 4 of them going together.

Not saying anything good/bad here, just reporting my tinkering

3.gif

As for pant-flapping bass, I've only known 2 speakers that did it for me at a less-than-painful level; one was an old Speakerlab-K in the 1970's and the other was a new Klipschorn (very recently).

I believe that it definately has to do with the room, both times, it was in brick or cement walls.

I can't get it to do that in my room either. But it CAN be done, the stock Khorns CAN do it; it's a fact.

DM2.gif

• 1 month later...

I second that, D-Man. Two things came to my mind: The room is definiately a limitting factor and the other is the power amp. Although I realize the sensitivity of K-horns, but my K-horns driven by the AudioPrism Silver Signature Debut in Triode mode (~18W/ch) can only tickle my pant legs in my room (~19'x26'x8') ... but when I drive them with the HK Citation IIs with 60W/ch, they do flap.

Ki

BTW, I see you are in the Seattle area. I live in Sammamish. Let's hook up.