Another McIntosh question

Coytee

What might a MC2105 sound like relative to a MC275?

What I'm kind of looking for is, will it be shrill for a Khorn when mated to a Peach?

Will it have the thumping bass since it's solid state (or so I think it is)

Is it a quiet amp?

Is SS Mac gear just as lovely with Khorns as tube stuff?

Realize this, I have a 2A3 for easy listening but want something with more HP so I can crank it up while i'm working outside & still want to hear it through my 6" thick logs (via using a A/B switch)

I'm realizing my Jolida has a LOT more noise in it than the Peach/Wrights do so I'm looking at getting something to perhaps replace it. While I'm doing the replacing I'm thinking I'd like to get something that will play loud, strong and with good bass authority (as I seem to recall that SS based systems will do more thumping than similar sized tube amps?)

So I'm looking for opinions on the solid state Mac stuff.

The Mc 2100/2105 is a fine amp, and if in good shape, is as quiet as you could want. It will definitly "thump."

The Mc 275 sounds better - at least to me, and has plenty of horsepower as well - in real world terms, probably more than a 2100, despite the ratings.

You wouldn't be going too far wrong with either amp - but, since nice 2100s sell for about 20% (if that) of a similar condition 275, I'd lean in that direction for the application you describe.

I have Mc gear on horns, and I have no inclination to change them even for tubes which is pretty rare when it concerns me and equipment.

One note of interest, though, the newer Mc amps reportedly do not use an autoformer on the output stage. Some feel that this gives the older Mc's a more tube-like sound even though they are SS. Mine have the autoformer.

One thing that the higher power Mc SS amps have is a dynamic headroom that is very enjoyable. Tubes don't tend to have the extreme headroom, IMO.

My MC300 does not thump at turn-on, and it's also extremely quiet.

DM2.gif

----------------

On 7/13/2005 1:20:44 PM Coytee wrote:

What might a MC2105 sound like relative to a MC275?

Realize this, I have a 2A3 for easy listening but want something with more HP so I can crank it up while i'm working outside & still want to hear it through my 6" thick logs (via using a A/B switch)

So I'm looking for opinions on the solid state Mac stuff.
----------------

I wouldn't waste money on anything like a McIntosh for something that your just going to be using to blast through Aunt Jemima's log cabin. I mean, nothing is going to sound good in that situation. Why not just get some cheap power amp?

Sorry, I guess that's not your question but I couldn't help but wonder.

----------------

I wouldn't waste money on anything like a McIntosh for something that your just going to be using to blast through Aunt Jemima's log cabin. I mean, nothing is going to sound good in that situation. Why not just get some cheap power amp?

Sorry, I guess that's not your question but I couldn't help but wonder.

----------------

There are times that I want to thump it while I'm in there too. I will use the 2A3 for "sipping tea" and listening to some nice stuff with wife/company.

I might use the other (what ever it is) when I'm alone and want to sip something stronger 11.gif and/or, be able to turn it up to ear splitting levels (in the room) while I'm OUT of the room doing other things listening to it.

It will NOT be exclusively used when I'm outside the house, just moreso when the wife is not around.

9.gif

I always liked the MC SS amps. They are currently powering my Heritage HT.

You will get a LOT MORE BASS, compared to your 2A3. With a 2A3, I see why you are not getting the pants flapping bass you talk about in your Khorn wall thread.

I always thought the older SS and TUBE MC's have a very simular tone.

I own a 2105, it is wonderfull amp and works great with Heritage.

JM

----------------

On 7/13/2005 2:23:25 PM Coytee wrote:

----------------

There are times that I want to thump it while I'm in there too. I will use the 2A3 for "sipping tea" and listening to some nice stuff with wife/company.

I might use the other (what ever it is) when I'm alone and want to sip something stronger 11.gif and/or, be able to turn it up to ear splitting levels (in the room) while I'm OUT of the room doing other things listening to it.

It will NOT be exclusively used when I'm outside the house, just moreso when the wife is not around.

9.gif

----------------

Now that makes sense. For what it's worth, my MC240(tube 40wpc) sounds better to me than my MC2505(SS 50wpc). I don't notice any additional bass punch from the MC2505. The MC240 sounds more musical. Instruments and vocals just seem to sound more real. For instance, piano music sounds more like the real piano in my living room.