Shipping cost more than I thought

It's kind of hard to describe, but basically I put like 2" of styrofoam in front of the grills but none on the back of the speakers. On top I used 4" of foam. Each speaker is in its own box and very tight. Then I put them in the bigger box and cut it to fit. I was worried about the grills supporting too much weight so I put them facing the top of the box so if they stand the box up they won't support and weight. I also took the speaker stands off and put them in their own box. Sorry that's not a very good description but I was up late last night.

box1.jpg

box2.jpg

I normally ship speakers of that size in seperate boxes so I was a little worried at first, but it sounds like you've done a great job packing those things. Someone said Fedex won't ship "electronics" that are not in their original packaging. You might want to check on that before using that label.....maybe call them fragile "furniture".

Good luck, Rick.

EDIT: You're right Colter. I must've missed that part about no packing on the back side.........not a good idea.

I think you could probably use your same master box, just put some solid foam on each side of each speaker and some in between. Please put speakers in waterproof bag first (pretend that box falls off truck into puddle of water)- ALWAYS assume the worst. THen do your double box thing with the thoughtful label and you should be good to go!

I know, it's a lot of work packing speakers for shipping. That's why I ALWAYS pick my Klipsch up personally.

Michael

2 Kg4's in one box is asking for trouble.

Audiokarma.org has a section entitled "packing and shipping, with the top post being a basic "how to", which explains do's and don'ts, and I don't think you

want a speaker fubar at the end of the line.

Assume that this box will be bumped, dropped, rolled, and everything in between .

NP - Kansas - Audiovisions LP

Tell yourself you got more for the speakers because the shipping was "discounted". The net you pocket would have been the same if you got less for the speakers but charged correct shipping. Perhaps the cheaper shipping price is why the seller was willing to bid so high. Maybe that will make you sleep better. For sure you will sleep worse if you go back on your word.

Another thing. FedEx Ground is NOT FedEX they are the old RPS. Cheaper shipping is great if it gets there undamaged. But from my personal experience UPS will pay claims if damage happens. Look back on some old posts about a lost LaScala and other shipping/packing threads.