Why no more Maple finish for Reference?

Shade

Wondering why the reference series is not longer offered in maple? I realize I'm probably late in noticing this, but I'm still curious. I always thought the maple was the best looking finish. My whole 7.1 system is in maple. (glad I snagged this last pair). Did it not sell well?

• Like 1

wonder what the sales figures were on them. They were never in stock anywhere. My guess is that since dealers 'carried' mostly black, that is what was sold. How many Oak or Cherry real wood veneer Reference were ever sold. We want numbers!

Special order merchandise just doesn't get discounted, therefore never ordered, therefore discontinued. Shame, the Maple was beautiful. How long until everything is made in China and vinylclad. Ugh.

Michael

----------------

On 7/17/2005 9:37:08 PM colterphoto1 wrote:

Special order merchandise just doesn't get discounted, therefore never ordered, therefore discontinued. Shame, the Maple was beautiful. How long until everything is made in China and vinylclad. Ugh.

Michael

----------------

I even had this problem with Cherry. My dealer didn't stock RF-7's in cherry, so they would have to special order them. That meant no good deals on my end. I had to settle for black in order to get a great price.

Jeremy

• 1 year later...

And just how many Reference models are now in real wood veneers? I'm in the process of purchasing an excellent pair of real cherry RB-75s from Ben Clarke. Real wood veneer is just so much more desirable than cheap vinyl sheets slapped on the enclosures IMO. I know it's more cost-effective to use vinyl, but why are the Reference going the way of Synergy models in the use of vinyl veneer? At this rate I'm afraid I may live long enough to see cheap vinyl cladding glued to Heritage models as well.[:@]

Bring back the maple finish, and for cryin' out loud, keep 'em all real wood please![:^)]

I hate to say it, but I can understand not using real veneer on the lower end of the Reference line (RF-10, RF-52). With those Klipsch is trying to make a quality speaker AND keep it at a lower price point. That may be what is needed to help keep it at that price. I do think however that the RF-82s should come in veneer as well. Personally, if I were to spend 1k on a pair of speakers, I would expect veneer.

That said, I would guess that most of us who are concerned with the vinyl / veneer issue would probably be looking at RF-83s or Heritage anyway.

• Like 1

And just how many Reference models are now in real wood veneers?

If you go to the products page and check the specs for a given speaker, towards the bottom it will list the finish as either vinlyl or veneer. For the floorstanders, it looks like only the RF-83 & 63 are in veneer.

• Like 1

I hate to say it, but I can understand not using real veneer on the lower end of the Reference line (RF-10, RF-52). With those Klipsch is trying to make a quality speaker AND keep it at a lower price point. That may be what is needed to help keep it at that price. I do think however that the RF-82s should come in veneer as well. Personally, if I were to spend 1k on a pair of speakers, I would expect veneer.

That said, I would guess that most of us who are concerned with the vinyl / veneer issue would probably be looking at RF-83s or Heritage anyway.

The rf-82 are around 700 dollars a pair, more in line with the synergy f3