Cornwall cab rebuild revisited

All:

I just spent about 45 minutes "inspecting" my '76 Cornwalls, taking measurements and doing drawings. These cabinets are DECEPTIVELY simple to rebuild, I am going to sketch them in ACAD tomorrow and try to cut myself a set this week on the CNC. This will be a fun project - and I work with a guy who is a master wood craftsman, so veneering is not gonna be a challenge. I will post pics when I get this done, stay tuned!

Chris

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 7/18/2005 8:34:18 PM popbumper wrote:

All:

I just spent about 45 minutes "inspecting" my '76 Cornwalls, taking measurements and doing drawings. These cabinets are DECEPTIVELY simple to rebuild, I am going to sketch them in ACAD tomorrow and try to cut myself a set this week on the CNC. This will be a fun project - and I work with a guy who is a master wood craftsman, so veneering is not gonna be a challenge. I will post pics when I get this done, stay tuned!

Chris ----------------

Dude, save yourself some money unless you have free access to the CNC stuff. Heck, print this out and take to Home depot. This includes everything. You can use the pine 3/4 inch "mounting strips" and cut those yourself in the Home depot home molding section. You could have them together by this weekend!

ftp://www.jwcullison.com/Cornwall/Cornwall%20dimensions-typed.doc

jc

Michael, JC:

I was certainly aware of the previous "Cornwall drawing" thread, I just got a wild hair tonite and figured I'd take some quick measurements myself. These cabs are very simple.

Since I am the guy who runs the CNC at work, and also writes the code, it's no biggie. I can probably draft the panels up and get them all cut in about an hour. I can have a set together by this weekend - then I need to veneer them, and throw out some cash and put together some of Al's Cornwall networks. Then I need to sit back and experience some audio nirvana!!

Chris

Michael:

There's a local guy who has an all Corn theater, I listened to it two years back; quite amazing! As for me, I hooked up one of my corns last night on the right channel of my system, with the left being a Forte. Interesting "A/B" - the Corn has a metal horn midrange, and I found that the Cornwall was WONDERFUL in orchestration where BRASS was concerned, and the Forte was excellent with STRINGS. Now, the Corn is '76, stock "B" network, no rope caulk, etc., so my work is ahead of me. Can't wait to build new cabs, put in Al's network, caulk the horns, etc. to see what happens!

Chris

Evening all:

Update - took the drawings for the Corn cab to work today and actually cut one cabinet. Tomorrow I will mitre the top/bottom/sides, and begin the framework. The motorboard turned out very nice, except for being very SLIGHTLY off the original - not far enough to even know unless you put the new on top of the old. I will correct the drawing tomorrow.

I plan to assemble the first cabinet tomorrow, and get a second one cut. The beauty of the CNC is super clean edges. Material? I cut these from 7 layer MDO playwood - a 7 layer plywood with a very hard "coating" on either side. Ever seen an interstate highway sign? That's MDO with a vinyl applique. VERY durable, tough stuff. It will take a veneer or paint readily.

As soon as I have some pics (likely tomorrow), I will begin posting them. Looking forward to having some new Corn cabs. It's great to have access to a tool like a CNC!

Chris

Hey Chris. Are you gonna swap the innards from your '76 Corns to the new cabinets or buy all new stuff? I have been considering building some Slightly modified Heresys but don't wanna scavenge my nice HWOs for parts.

ps. you still in Richardson?

Tommy:

I'm gonna swap the innards, build brand new networks, rope caulk the mid horns, etc. Basically put all the stuff in a new cab. In fact, The first cab is about 75% complete as of today (need to add internal shelf, paint the motorboard and rear panel, and veneer). Gonna shoot for having the first done in a week, with the other close behind.

Yes, I am still in Richardson!

Chris

----------------

On 7/20/2005 6:51:16 PM popbumper wrote:

Tommy:

I'm gonna swap the innards, build brand new networks, rope caulk the mid horns, etc. Basically put all the stuff in a new cab. In fact, The first cab is about 75% complete as of today (need to add internal shelf, paint the motorboard and rear panel, and veneer). Gonna shoot for having the first done in a week, with the other close behind.

Yes, I am still in Richardson!

Chris

----------------

Cool. I would love to see the finished project.

This morning:

Painted the motorboard, back panel and cab edges. Installed shelf. Fastened motorboard to front. Researching veneer, will pick up a 4x8 sheet of Walnut probably tomorrow.

I DO have pics of this stuff, no way to send from work (old computer), will share soem pics tonite. It's looking great!

Chris

This is the internal shelf added after all else has been done. Note the motorboard has also been painted at the back - not as original - but I painted both sides so I could choose the best outward facing side. Keep in mind that this is a PROTOTYPE build, any and all "issues" will be addressed on the next build.

Thanks all for your interest I will follow in a few days with pics showing stuffing, parts placement, and veneer.

Chris

post-14415-1381926858354_thumb.jpg

Michael:

Thanks for asking. I would be willing to add enhancements given the need for some improvements on this platform. If you can be specific on what you think is appropriate for stifeing, say so. Also I CAN cut "vertical motorboards" if someone will supply me with the hole locations - this would allow me to build center channel cabinets. Yes, I can also do crossovers, shouldn't be a problem. These will certainly use my PCB's.

Chris