Cornwall cab rebuild revisited

JWC:

Yes, that upper 3/4" mounting brace above the shelf is in the original Cornwall set. I am trying to remain as true to the original as possible, though I will probably make more effort to seal the cabinet with caulk; the originals are not what I would label as "air tight". I also need to decide what "stuffing" to use in place of the original light "paper-like" matting on the inside panel sides and bottom. Dynamat, perhaps?

Chris

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All:

Completed construction of the second Cornwall cab today.

Having "prototyped" the first, the second one fared even better as far as construction technique and details (7/8" internal bracing, better shelf construction, etc).

I DID pick up a 4'x8' sheet of 10mm thick Black Walnut veneer today, and was able to get the first cabinet covered. This stuff is BEAUTIFUL, can't wait to get it oiled (I will be using Tung Oil for my finish). I will take the camera in tomorrow and shoot more pics of the veneer job and the new cab.

Once veneer is done, I will need to damp the cabinets, put the terminal blocks on, and start crossover construction. This is turning out to be a nice project, and I am learning a lot in the process. Stand by!

Chris

Opposing side showing walnut veneer installed. I will have final shots with oiled finish in a day or two, then I need to transfer everything over from the other cab, wire, add damping, etc. Stay tuned for final photos; thanks all for your interest.

Chris

post-14415-13819268603258_thumb.jpg

Paper backed veneer. Contact cement sprayed with a standard automotive gun (pressure adjusted accordingly) to both the cab surface and the rear of the veneer, allowed to "dry" (only mildly tacky), then veneer pressed on the cabinet and rolled with a hard rubber roller. Edges trimmed with a small router/razor knife, then everything hand sanded with 220 grit paper. Oiling next!

Chris

All:

Friday night I masked the raw cabinets and reshot black lacquer to make sure the black edges met up cleanly with the veneer. This is the latest pic -put the first coat of tung oil on today. Also received the damping foam and terminal cups this afternoon. Will finish oil tomorrow, caulk everything internally, add damping foam, add the terminal cups, and bring home in a few days. I will then probably pack out the cab with components this weekend. This has been a great project, these turned out far better than I had hoped.

Chris

post-14415-13819268607748_thumb.jpg

Michael:

No crossovers yet. The cabinets were treated with a second oil this morning, and I JUST finished installing the damping foam. More pics in a few hours, can't load from here, and I'm on the way home. Thanks all for the kind comments!

Chris