Center channel question

Rick_Derris

OK, I have the SF-3's and the SS-3's, and a Denon 3805. I've had this set up for about 8 months now. I have no center channel. The problem was, I couldnt get the SC-3 at the time, and I sort of forgot about it. Well I just got a membership at a video store, and now I see I am really missing the center channel. I used to listen to only music, so everythign was fine, but watching a movie I have to turn the sound way up (-25 ish) to hear the voices, then I have to drop the sound when action starts (-35ish). SO I need to get a center channel. They stopped making the SC-3, so I am looking on ebay to get one, but I keep losing the bid wars.

Well to my real point, I have never heard the referrence line. But I see that he RC-35 is sort of close to the SC-3 in specs. So how would that sound? I know if I mixed mains it would be ugly, but the center channel doesnt have a counter part, so I wouldnt really be compairing it directly to anything. Or would the C-3 be a better choice? I dont really like the way the C-3 looks, but I imagine it sounds different then the SC-3, but It probably would sound closer to the SC-3 then the RC-35 does.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Rick

" I used to listen to only music, so everythign was fine, but watching a movie I have to turn the sound way up (-25 ish) to hear the voices, then I have to drop the sound when action starts (-35ish). SO I need to get a center channel."

Have you gone into the Denon's setup menus and turned off the center channel? The Denon should fold the centers material into your L/Rs so you shouldn't need to crank your volume up just to hear voices.

Make sure you have done this as a temporary measure until you get a center channel.

Shawn

Shawn, I didnt even think of turning off the center channel. I'll have to try that. But being that the signal is coming in optically, in Dolby digital 5.1, Do I really have a choice on which speakers to make present? I assumed that that setup was for other play modes, and that you had no real options when it came to the Dolby digital. Because I know when I have a dobly digital source hooked up to the reciever, a different speaker digram of lights pops on. And I dont think I can control that. But I'll give it a shot when I get home.

Thanks for the recommendations on the speakers. Unfortuanly I looked and see that the RC-3 and RC-3II are both out of production, so they will probably be difficult to find also. So I'll do what you suggest and look for the SC-3 fist, and if I cant find it I'll look for the RC-3's. But what is the difference in sound between the reference and the synergies? Will it really sound bad, or just not sound even with the other speakers? Has anyone run or tried that type of setup?

Thanks again,

Rick

" But being that the signal is coming in optically, in Dolby digital 5.1, Do I really have a choice on which speakers to make present? "

Yes, you do. Part of DD decoding is also the ability to fold it down to the appropriate number of speakers in a system on playback.

If you have your system configured for a center channel and don't have one any of the surround modes are going to sound lousy. Turn off the center speaker and the Denon should handle the rest.

Shawn

----------------

On 7/20/2005 11:25:14 AM Rick_Derris wrote:

Thanks for the recommendations on the speakers. Unfortuanly I looked and see that the RC-3 and RC-3II are both out of production, so they will probably be difficult to find also. So I'll do what you suggest and look for the SC-3 fist, and if I cant find it I'll look for the RC-3's. But what is the difference in sound between the reference and the synergies? Will it really sound bad, or just not sound even with the other speakers? Has anyone run or tried that type of setup?

Thanks again,

Rick

----------------

you'll just have to take my word on it that the SC-3 and RC-3/II are very close. i am just trying to say its your best option for timbre. the RC-35 would also work, just not at seamless.

Ok, then hopefully when I switch the center channel off in the setup it'll help with the voices. I didnt realize that it was capable of sepearting the center singal into the front channels, that's cool.

And for the Micophone hook up, I dont have it. I was thinking about getting it, but I wasnt sure if it would really be worth it. Does it really make a big or at least noticable difference? If so, then I'll have to go and get one, because trying to properly set everything up is a pain, and if that thing will automatically do it for me, and do it better then I can, I'd imagine it is well worth the money. Have any of you actually tried it? And how did you like it?

Also, thanks for the link to ebay, I'll have to bid on it. I tried a few days ago on one that same auctioner had, but I got beaten in the last seconds. So I'll have to be quicker this time around. And if I cant manage to get the SC-3, then I'll go for the RC-3.

So I guess one last question, are there any other companies who's center channels will blend nicely with what I have?

Thanks again,

Rick

I agree with Frizninvt and Sfogg. Go into your receiver's menu and turn off the center speaker. This is what is known as running a phantom center and, to me anyways, is your second best choice. Another thing you could do is toe in your speakers and have them aimed toward the listening position. I think you will get better results than going with a different speaker from another model line. When you are about to get the funds, then get the SC-3.

I used to have a KV-2 center speaker with a pair of KG5.5s for the front pair. It worked "ok" for a while, but I tried the phantom center route and also toed in my speakers and was floored with how much more detail the front end has. Dialog was much more clearer too. It worked great until I finally came across a pair of KG2.5s. I used one of them as my center until my custom one was built.

Try the phantom center route. I think the change will surprise you. Another thing you could do, is look for the bookshelf verison of your speakers and use it as the center speaker. Just aim it down toward the listening position and you are golden. Hope this helps.

Regarding the setup microphone, I think it works very well for people that are just getting into the game (home theater). I have the Denon 2805, and thought the auto setup worked fairly well. I agree, being a newbie myself, all the tweaking of the system can be a bit overwhelming at first (but fun). The microphone allowed me to get in the ballpark of a finely tuned system, and then I could make tweaks as I saw fit. The mic came with my receiver, but I probably would have bought it if it didn't come with the unit, just because I really had no idea what I was doing. With the 3805 you got the fancy remote, while I got the mic with the 2805, minus a few other things. Good luck.

Thank you so much for your help. I played with the set up and removed the center channel. I also, aimed the speakers to my seat, and it did make a huge difference. Definately a massive improvement over what I was doing. I'll try to get the proper center channel asap, but until then this is a world of an improvement over what I was doing.

I'll be honest, part of the reason I did get his recieve was because of the controller. I was pretty much sold on Denon based upon what everyone has said about it, and how most feel it is a very neutral sounding system, not bright or warm, just very neutral. And then looking at all the recievers, most of the controllers are very ugly. Not to sound like a __________ (fill in the blank with what ever you feel is appropriate), but I like my stuff to have a nice look to it. My chair and speakers are black, my TV, DVD, VCR, Receiver are all silver. So seeing that controller, I was like that is aweesome looking. And the reciever I've heard and read reviews on, so I know it was also good. I do really wish that they included the Mic. But you cant have everything. So I'll have to go and grab one next chance I get.

Once again, thanks for all the help,

Rick