Impressed yet again by the Fortes

Well yet again, I am impressed with how low the Fortes can dig! The amp on my sub started acting up last night when I was playing my Hell Freezes Over DVD so I turned the sub off, re-set the front speakers to Large and sent all the LFE to the front speakers, I gotta say that the sub was hardly missed at all! Yes, there is more of the chest thumping with the sub but you could still feel it with the Forte only, not as hard as with the sub but you still could feel it! I switched to a movie (Cat Woman) and I hardly missed the sub but I did kind of fear for the Fortes with some of the effects though the drivers were nowhere near bottoming out. The sub is under warrantee and will be fixed but in the mean time do you think I could damage the Fortes running them hard (about 90 db + peaks) with the LFE?

There are DVD's that dig very deep, and on which I would hesitate to drive the Fortes at full. Explosive, transient peaks such as can be found on many action and adventure films are not going to be reproduced in their entirety by the Forte, which falls off significantly below 32 Hz. I personally would not risk it, on DVD film material.

On the other hand, music such as your Eagles disc (and just about any other music-only material) has never presented a problem with my own Fortes; and although, as you indicated, you are not getting quite the same thumping depth as with a subwoofer, the Forte's ability to reproduce so cleanly and so low gives the impression that they are getting even lower than they are.

I frequently listen (to music) on mine with the analog-direct mode on my HT processor, which feeds only my Fortes... and I also am constantly impressed by mine, even after nearly 18 years. I have responded to threads in other forums (there is currently a "Polk vs. Klipsch" topic in the Speakers section at AVS)... people asking for comparisons, or suggestions for under-$1000 best floorstanders, etc... proclaiming that you cannot find a better speaker for the price on the new market.