Klipsch Quartet tweeter blown. Need help

Can any of you suggest where I should send my tweeter for repair? Cost??? I just got my quartets and they're in better shape than my last pair. They're oiled oak. I'd like to hear them both sing. Please assist. You may email me at audio_elitist.com

Thanks in advance guys!!!

Contact BEC (Bob Crites) right here on the forum, he has the diaphrams that you will need.

Otherwise you can call 1-800-Klipsch and ask for the parts department and take it from there. The diaphrams are not to tough to change if you have some mechanical ability and some dexterity.

Hope it works out for you!

There have been three different diaphragm materials over the years.

Get a pair of diaphragms so they match.

A 211-2 automotive dome lamp wired in series with the tweeter will virtually eliminate the chance of burnout ever happening in the future.

"A 211-2 automotive dome lamp wired in series with the tweeter will virtually eliminate the chance of burnout ever happening in the future."

What? could someone elaborate on this for me? wouldnt that be like sticking a resistor in there? this cant be serious. all right I'll nibble are you serious?

As the drive level increases, the filament starts to heat up, and resistance increases. What this does is reduce the voltage going to the tweeter momentarily, as the level decreases, the resistance of the bulb filament drops.

It acts like a compressor, slightly reducing the peaks at high drive levels. This should protect the tweeters from overdriving.

The cold-to-hot resistance change can be higher than 1:20, very little loss when cold.

The lamp takes several tens of milliseconds to heat up, a ten cycle tone burst at 10Khz is only one millisecond long.

In general use the lamp is not noticeable, under heavy clipping it helps reduce the harsh brightness from clipping.

EV sold an STR tweeter protector for the T35/K77 that was relay based, there is an EV app note on how to add a lamp to the circuit. In normal use the relay acts like a straight wire bypass.

The cold-to-hot resistance change can be higher than 1:20, very little loss when cold.

The lamp takes several tens of milliseconds to heat up, a ten cycle tone burst at 10Khz is only one millisecond long.

In general use the lamp is not noticeable, under heavy clipping it helps reduce the harsh brightness from clipping.

EV sold an STR tweeter protector for the T35/K77 that was relay based, there is an EV app note on how to add a lamp to the circuit. In normal use the relay acts like a straight wire bypass.

no sh!t, thanks for the info. so were talking one of those barrel shaped dome bulbs? What, wired on the positive side running to the tweeter?

this is good protection for k76 and k77, one time deal?

I work in a garage, so the price is...well afordable2.gif

----------------

On 7/23/2005 7:10:01 AM travisc wrote:

... What, wired on the positive side running to the tweeter? ...

----------------

As long as it is in series with the tweeter it doesn't matter.

----------------

... this is good protection for k76 and k77, ...

----------------

It will work with most tweeters.

----------------

... one time deal?

----------------

I am not sure what you mean.. It is not functioning like a fuse and burning up when there is too much current.

----------------

On 7/21/2005 2:22:03 PM Crackerman wrote:

Can any of you suggest where I should send my tweeter for repair? Cost??? I just got my quartets and they're in better shape than my last pair. They're oiled oak. I'd like to hear them both sing. Please assist. You may email me at audio_elitist.com

Thanks in advance guys!!!

----------------

First, welcome to the forum!

Did you ever get a hold of Bob? The diaphragms are also available from Klipsch parts.