Attention DIY's

bluesboy

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The BIG problem, (aside from EVERYTHING ELSE9.gif) are the instructions - how do you get someone whose never even seen the insides of a Khorn to build a set with a reasonable chance of success?! Hardcopy plans and a video, etc? Food for thought.

DM2.gif

D-Man:

I'd never seen the insides of a K-horn until I built one. It's not a problem. In the next week or so I'm going to assemble two bass horns from the parts I'm going to offer in the Kits. The idea is to take digital photos of all the steps of the assembly process to be included in the instruction manual. Be patient. I hope to have it all together in a few weeks.

Don

Don, I think there might be more interest in a flat kit of a "jubilee" bass bin. Two reasons...1. many of the hard core tweakers, who are your most likely customers, would rather have the "improved" k-horn bass bin that the jubilee represents (better top end response, smoother overall response). 2. the klipschorn is a production item that has been backwards engineered, to sell it brings up all sorts of legal implications, I think you would certianly be smacked down by Klipsch. However building a kit version of bass bin derived from the JAES article published by PWK and delgado would not (IMHO) be a rights violation of Klipsch, since plans were not published you would simply be deriving inspiration from a published article. one board member has already built a pair of bins based on the article.

care is needed when thinking about selling commercially, as DIYers most companies tolerate our endless tinkering and backwards engineering because we do not profit from it, we just build our own and enjoy the results, once you begin to sell something for profit, the owners of the intellectual property begin to take offense.

best regards,

tony

BTW I have dying to hear what happened with the jubileee bass bin project, anyone heard anything?

Tony,

I think there would be potentially be more problems in selling a 'Jubilee' clone then there would be a 'K'Horn' clone.

The K'Horns patents are *long* since expired. When a patent expires the legal protection over the design that the patent gives expires too. The 'Jubilee' design may still have active patent(s) protection on its design.

As long as the K'Horn clones don't use any Klipsch trademarks (which may not have expired) legally I don't think there is anything Klipsch could do about a K'Horn clone.

Shawn

shawn, you're right. I forgot how old the patents on the klipshorn bass bin must be! I still think the "jubilee" described in the JAES article is open game for copying if they do not call it jubilee and do not copy an existing klipsch product. maybe I am just hoping but I would love to build my super-klipschorn project using the jubilee bass bin....warm regards, tony

A Khorn bass bin kit seems like a good idea but I wonder about the economics of it. Khorns in pairs can be had on ebay and other sites for about $1700.- $2000. ( I got mine for $1500.) The trick is finding them close enough for pick up. But that gives you two finished bins AND top units with all the speakers and crossover for less than $2000. Your bins, unassembled, would cost $2000 plus shipping with no speakers and crossovers, if I understand you correctly. Templates and instructions might be the better way to go. Never-the-less it is a difficult construction project.

A thought just occured to me - I wonder if there would be any way to convert a La Scala bass bin into a khorn? ie - Could part of the La Scala bass bin be used as the core of a conversion kit? They can be had for about $700-$900 a pair on ebay.

Shawn and Tony:

It seems like I remember a thread from some time ago mentioning a guy named Shinall or something like that. I can't find his web page, (probably got him name wrong). Anyway, He was building what looked like exact copies of K/H Horns, Lascalas, Belles. I wonder if he had any trouble? The Super K/H Horn project sounds cool. Where can you get Jubilee Bass Bin plans?

Don

Duke,

No, It wouldn't work. Most of the difficulty in cutting out a K-Horn Bass Bin lies in the complexity of the compound mitres and the severity of some of the angle cuts. You need to set up various jigs to cut the parts. It's not like tracing a template onto a piece of plywood and cutting it out with a Skilsaw.

Don

Soundog,

First off, the bass bin kits would, I think, go for around $1,000.00 shipped for a pair. Hey, if what you want is used K-Horns that's cool. What I'm aiming for are DYI's who want to do hybrids from the ground up. The speakers I'm listening to now have the regular K-Horn bass bins with K-33's. On top I have Altec 511-B Horns with Atlas drivers, Beyma Cp-25 tweeters and ALK Engineering designed crossovers.

Don

Don there were two guys working on jubilee DIY plans/projects, one was bigdnfay and the other neandertal. bigdnfay built a pair of jubilee bass bins, I like the idea of that as a kit BECAUSE; it only folds in one direction making it easier to cut and assemble, it has better response curves, lower distortion and reaches higher (over 1khz) than the original k-horn bass bin. you should really check it out. regards, tony

$1000 for a pair would work. I have modified my Khorns with Al's crossovers and 511Bs and have just added the Beyma tweeters - much clearer, crisper with wider dispersion. Sounds great! I am considering Al's new mid horns but I have the 511s sprayed with damping material and don't have any ringing so I probably won't. I use University cobraflex horns in the centers instead of 511b s.

I also have 8 LaScala's, 5 I use as a center and surrounds and 3 in another system.

I often thought I would like to find a Khorn bin and lay it on it's side in the "corner" formed by the floor and the back wall to serve as a bass bin for the center channel replacing the LaScala bin but am not sure it would make any real difference.

Good luck. If I was starting from scratch your bins would be of real inerest, may buy one for the center if I feel industrious.

Duke-

You sound like one of those horn critics that labels any horn a pa horn. True that mid range horns because of their high efficency and clarity make for excellent pa applications The University Cobraflex is an amazing folded horn that has been used in both hi-fi speaker systems (as a midrange with a very good driver) or as a stand alone for voice pa applications. I like it for the center in my home theater because it reproduces the human voice extremely well which is usually what's on the center and has a wide dispersion pattern so people to the side can still hear what's being said. - For music I usually just use the k-horns except for multi-channel sacds and audio/video material. With the SACDs I "A-B"ed it with a 511b (using the same 55V driver) and could not tell the difference. However, with the spoken word the cobra was clearer and wider ranged.