Hiss... source of and solution?

anarchist

Hi guys,

Question for the geniuses out there.

While playing CD's, during rather quiet passages or perhaps I should say when the music is not very dynamic, there is an audible hiss which I tend to believe is in the recording itself. If I pause the CD there is absolutely no hiss or when the track is finished and we are moving onto the next track it is absolutely silent. If the music is rocking, the hiss, of course, becomes far less noticible but still present I believe. On other CD's, there is no hiss.

Am I correct in beleiving the problem to be the recording itself and this is just "base" noise? If so, are there CD players which are designed to have a higher "threshold" and render this hiss silent? Basically a Dolby Noise Reduction for CD's without destroying the highs?

Sounds like tape hiss from the original master. Is this a re-release of and old recording? Or is it on all your CDs?

In the case of the former, it may well be tape hiss. In the later, it is more likely digital noise from your player.

Ain't 104 Db speakers wonderful? The recording and electrical engineers can't get away with anything.

Rick

Most likely tape hiss. I just borrowed a remastered "from the original analogue tapes" version of Miles Davis "Sketches of Spain" and the hiss in the quiet parts is quite loud. A lot of early CDs from the 80s also have quite noticable tape hiss on them.

A great unit to remove hiss and unwanted background noise without robbing the HF information or adding anything to the signal is a DBX SNR-1 Single Ended Noise Reduction Unit, it has a user adjustable threshold so you set the point. These were made in the glory days of the DBX Consumer Group not the Pro stuff that Harman International is peddling these days.

They sell pretty cheap on eBay and are well worth the investment.

I have a .pdf copy of the user manual if you care to read about how it does what it does. I have used one and they DO work!

----------------

On 8/1/2005 1:52:18 PM Frzninvt wrote:

A great unit to remove hiss and unwanted background noise without robbing the HF information or adding anything to the signal is a DBX SNR-1 Single Ended Noise Reduction Unit

I have a .pdf copy of the user manual if you care to read about how it does what it does. I have used one and they DO work!

----------------

Please email it to me: losingmymind@mindspring.com

I believe it is tape hiss - in fact, that was what I was trying to convey, it sounds exactly like tape hiss. Oh yeah and the music is all old and most are "remastered from the original source" stuff.